We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Which Leavenworth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Remember the years of past when you go launch an inflatable from the shores of Lake Washington and get plastered floating right in the south turn of the Seafair Hydro Races? And then things changed.

Well, there still are a few festivals left in Washington where everyone is getting plastered and the cops and the insurance companies seem to have not ruined the event yet. Even smoking areas are outside in the middle of the action instead of put off in some shameful corner area. Wow.

#1 - Yes, there is more than just beer. They serve wine too. No hard alcohol.

#2 - No, you don't have to wear a German outfit. About 20% at best do and they are fun to look at.

#3 - The line to get in is huge when it opens at noon and in the evening around 8 so unless you like standing in lines, enter between 2 and 7. There usually is no re-entry line so you can come and go as you please.

#4 - Yes it isn't cheap, but it isn't super expensive either (depending on how much you drink.) $10 to get in is reasonable considering there is music and dancing entertainment. Everything is $5 a drink which is about what you pay at a bar anyway and very reasonable compared to a Seahawks or Mariners game. But you can't get pitchers and save money. They do have dedicated booths selling tickets by credit card so it's not cash only.

#5 - Newsflash: This event caters to robust style beer drinkers, Whomever gives the beer selection a thumbs down, doesn't belong at this event in the first place then. There is a large selection of GERMAN STYLE beer, at least 10 kinds I saw, but aside from the Hefeweizen, you aren't going to find Budweiser, Coors, Red Hook, or Corona here. Duh. We liked the dark "Dunkel" as it was very smooth despite the dark color and the Ayinger had the biggest kick (over 7%). You can always go with a Hefe for something lighter.

#6 - Food isn't gourmet but neither is the price.. $5 for a bratwurst, pulled pork, bbq chicken, etc. is a pretty good deal. If you want something more upscale, go outside the gate and pay tourist trap prices at the restaurants in the heart of town.

#7 - Virtually everyone is in a great mood and very social. Can't remember ever seeing one fight (not that they never happen - but surprising considering how much alcohol is consumed - the red "Alcohol Police" must help prevent this.) So don't ruin it for the rest of us and go when you are in a bad mood or don't know your utmost limit on your drinking before you turn into an a**hole. Also, I have young kids (6-13 age range) and as others have pointed out, I don't see any reason to bring a family in here. Not that you can't, but there's really not that much (if anything) to see and do targeted at young children in there.

Bottom Line: A must do event for anyone that has any affinity for beer (and isn't a snob about it), the German culture, or just likes large events with a lot of drunk people. Leavenworth itself is a must see. But I must admit, the novelty of the festival and the somewhat cheezy touristy town wains ever so slightly with each year that I age. I have a finite number of brain cells to lose and my liver can only take so much but I still make the trek.

Unless you are very drunk and brave, you will probably do like most and spend the evening standing or sitting watching the old folk dance while trying to see who's the drunkest and maybe strike up a conversation with one of them. It's definitely fun, but after going several years, like most things, it can get a little "old" - especially when the morning hangover arrives. Ouch. But to each their own. It really is what you want to make of it.

The main downside though is that it essentially starts to shut down (stop serving) at midnight (if I remember right) and there are no hopping places to go after. We tried The Loft but they were closing at 1. Maybe we need to look harder next time.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Thanks for your review. I've mainly been there in the summer or at Christmastime. Maybe I should go to Oktoberfest sometime.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Is it worth checking out if you are not a beer drinker?

Port Orchard
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Oh, definitely, yes. There's great music and lots of shopping or just looking in a myriad of nice little shops. We have been there half a dozen times. I don't drink beer, but I do like the Bavarian food and the music and the general ambiance of Leavenworth. They've done a knock-out job of turning that logging town into a Bavarian Village.

Port Orchard
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

See reply below. I couldn't tell which one I was answering. Sorry.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

Please don't resurrect a post from 2012. The original poster will get notified of new answers. If you have new questions please start a new posting, Please?

6. Re: Oktoberfest Leavenworth, Washington Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 23, 2014