We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

3 posts
Save Topic
Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

Best way to drive from Portland in December?

Best place to downhill ski nearish Leavenworth ?

Any don't miss family sights, restaurants, activities you suggest?

We are really excited for our first visit there starting the day after Christmas. Sleeping lady resort.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Happy Holidays!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

Drive north on I-5 and hang an east on highway 2 to get to Leavenworth. Stevens pass will be your ski area which you go over to get to Leavenworth

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

We do this often and will also be headed there the same time you are. The route will depend on pass conditions, but here are a few options.

I-5 to Hwy 2 is the one we usually take, but only because we are usually there beforehand to see friends/family. Otherwise it is not the fastest from Portland.

I-84 east out of Portland, then at Biggs Junction cross into WA to 97 and take that over the Satus Pass and through Toppenish to I-82. Then head towards Blewett Pass and go through there and then onto Leavenworth.

Another option is I-5 north towards Seattle, but take I-90 eastbound.

We also ski at Stevens Pass, which is west of Leavenworth. There is also Mission Ridge in Wenatchee though. If you want to do cross country skiing, Stevens Pass has a nordic area a couple miles before you read the alpine area, plus there are lots of places right in/around Leavenworth itself for that.

If you haven't tried snowshoeing, you might consider that. Lots of places right in/around Leavenworth for that.

Restaurants and such in town, here are a few of our go-to places. South, Andreas Kellar, Visconti's and Soup Cellar. For something nicer we like Cafe Mozart, which is upstairs from Andreas Kellar. Other shops we like are the Gingerbread Factory, Schocolat, Homefires Bakery and the Cheesemongers shop. There are quite a few tasting rooms right in downtown too if you want to sample area wines.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

If you are coming from Portland, for efficiency, it makes the most sense to take I-5 to I-90 East to Hwy 97 to Leavenworth.

If you would like to stop & ski on the way over, you will go right through the Summit at Snoqualmie Ski Area, which encompasses 4 areas. Because of Snoqualmie's lower elevation (compared to other areas) conditions are more variable than other areas, but you can still have exceptional conditions. My favorite area is Alpental, for it's challenging terrain, but you can find the area best suits your ski/boarding style.

But, based on your post, it sounds like you are looking for an area once you are in Leavenworth, and Mission Ridge is the ski area most commonly accessed. From Leavenworth, it is 22 miles.

http://www.missionridge.com/

Of course there are plenty of other winter sports activities - snow shoeing, nordic sports, tubing, snowmobiling. For a very small area with a tubing hill near Lake Chelan, you might want to check out Echo Valley - http://www.echovalley.org/

Steven's Pass Ski Area, as mentioned above, is located north of Seattle, so you would travel throughout the city of Seattle, to Everett, then east on Hwy 2. It is 78 miles from Seattle to Stevens Pass, then from Stevens to Wenatchee it is 48 miles on US 2. http://www.stevenspass.com/

Edited: 10:58 am, December 12, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

This site map may help orient you to the various ski areas in Washington state. You can click through to each ski area's individual web sites for more info on pricing, etc. www.skiwashington.com/resorts

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

As the others have said, Stevens and Mission Ridge are the two major ski areas near town. In town there is a real tiny downhill, which is great for locals who just want to ski for an hour or so, but probably not what you are looking for. Stevens Pass is exactly 35 miles from town, and Mission Ridge 22 miles, as someone else said. I am not a ski expert, but from what I know, Mission Ridge probably has more powder, as it is on the east side of the mountains. Doesn't get as much snow as Stevens. I think Stevens is a bit bigger of a ski area.

You can take a shuttle from Leavenworth to Stevens Pass, not a bad idea on a weekend where parking can be a pain, or if you just don't feel like driving back and forth and don't mind paying for a bus.

leavenworthshuttle.com/ski/ski_bus_schedule.…

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

Thanks, all, for the excellent advice. I truly appreciate it, and hope I can return the favor someday!

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

What to do in Leavenworth if there is no snow? What a dry Autumn we are having, particularly compared to last year!

Edited: 1:44 pm, December 14, 2011
Leavenworth...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

I would recommend avoiding I-5 due to multiple city traffic. I live in Leavenworth and take this route every time I visit Portland: 84E to Dalles, 97N to Ellensburg & Wenatchee, then Hwy 2 W to Leavenworth. Once there you are 45 minutes drive to either Stevens Pass (steeper and more terrain) or Mission Ridge (smaller, great family mountain). The Leavenworth Ski Hill & Nordic Trails are perfect for a full or half day of family fun (tubing, 30 k of Nordic trails, 2 ropes tow). Their day tickets start at $10/person or $35 for whole family. These locations are 2 miles from downtown. Info: www.skileavenworth.com.

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

Leavenworth does have snow now, though not as much as normal. The snow they got in November has stuck around because it has been cold. They should get a bit more snow by Christmas. Hopefully.

Leavenworth
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland to Leavenworth & ski advice

Several of the hotels and resorts participate in a lodging program with Mission Ridge and Stevens Pass offering a stay and ski package. Take a peek at http://www.destinationcascades.com/ for a list of them. I work for Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, one of the options. I agree with the 84E, 97N route. I've driven it many times having grown up in the Yakima Valley.

Get answers to your questions about Leavenworth