We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in Langley, Washington

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Children in Langley, Washington

I think I have my answer... since no one has posted about bringing infants to Langley.... But is this an anti-children town? I have traveling to 6 states with our now 1 year old daughter. We aren't the type of family to let her carry on in restaurants. We don't subject other people to her nonsense as we understand its not their kid. BUT - this town asks like we are carrying in a rhino whenever we walk down a street, enter a restaurant, etc. It's not the waiters or store clerks.... its the people visiting. Did we miss a no kid policy?

32 replies to this topic
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

If it were the town (though it seems a bit far fetched there'd be one particular town that is completely "anti-child") wouldn't you have run into rudeness from the exact people that you didn't, ie the waiters or store clerks?

But you're saying it was your fellow tourists, yes? And who knows where they are from.

But if everyone were looking at you as if you had a rhino, isn't is possible it was something else? It seems a bit drastic to explain this situation by saying an entire town (or it's visitors, in this case) hates children.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

Florida.Girl,

I am trying not to be glib, and respond appropriately, and certainly we all have unique experiences, but this is one of the oddest posts I have seen.

I have been visiting Whidbey, primarily Langley and the south-end of the island for some 20+ years now - always with several kids in tow, and have never had an issue with children - anywhere on the Island. In fact, I just spent last weekend in Langley with a large group who stayed in multiple hotels and rental properties. We had several children (11) and young adults with us ranging in age from 7 to 21 (and two dogs). Ate in restaurants, relaxed at the coffee houses, shopped in the stores, played on the beaches. Not an issue anywhere...I can't imagine what you are referring to.

Edited: 5:36 pm, August 13, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

Ladies -

I appreciate the questions and will elaborate on what I wrote. My husband and I traveled to Langley with a 1 year old. This is a far cry from a 7 year old or even several older children. The reception on the streets of Langley was incredibly different than the reception in every other spot we stopped in Washington State. Bellingham was amazing. We loved every place we stopped, roaming the streets, and meeting random strangers. We are both friendly people who are well traveled throughout the world. We've visited places as amazing as NYC and stayed in the best hotels down to backpacking through Peru for days and living in tents. We appreciate that there is a culture to each place that you visit and we try to embrace.

Langley made me want to yank my hair out. I did not understand the chip on people's shoulder. I guessed it had to be because we may disturb the peace by daring to bring an infant into the town. Sure, the town is cute. But honestly - in places like this - the people make the town.

I was sorely disappointed. I have been part of Trip Advisor for years and years, and honestly - I can truly say - this is the first town I wanted to leave and never visit again.

So maybe this has nothing to do with bringing an infant. Maybe we looked like we were from the East Coast... maybe my jeans and flip flops insulted someone... maybe the heat was getting to everyone... but wow... not what I expected!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

FloridaGirl, your two posts are frustratingly unspecific. What, exactly, did people on the streets say or do to inspire this bizarre accusation? Christy's post, a marvel of logical reasoning, made it clear that Langley's citizens were probably not to blame, so who did what to whom?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

This is probably a first for all of us in terms of this complaint. Since you say it is visitors I am not sure what it is you want us to say? Obviously you are frustrated, but based on one comment I am not going to steer people with young children away from Langley.

Edited: 7:03 pm, August 13, 2012
6. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:34 pm, August 26, 2012

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

I honestly can't imagine that so I would also like to hear more. What happened? I have seen people with young kids everywhere and no one ever minds. This includes some of the fanciest restaurants in Seattle where I would personally never have taken my kids. Whidbey Island is not that exclusive of a place. It has many family homes, so I can't really understand what might have happened.

In any case, I am sorry you had a negative experience!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
63 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

I apologize for not giving details, but it honestly was not a single incident. I was standing on the walkway in downtown with my daughter. I was dressed in jeans, flip flops, a nice shirt that was completely covering. My daughter was dressed in a cute dress and a bow in her hair. I was bouncing her in my arms and then trying to walk with her down the street. At least 15 people passed. Some adult couples, some older couples, a couple of families with older (10+ year old kids). All gave this look like - why is your kid here.

Today - we went out to Freeland, Oak Harbor and Coupeville. Everyone was lovely. We had an older gentleman and his dogs approach to play with our daughter on the beach. Case in point! Went to Freeland today to go grocery shopping with my daughter, and this lovely woman (in her 80's) almost jumped off a park bench to hug our daughter and get her granddaughter fix.

I seriously did not get Langley. Just rude looks for having a kid. I respect that you all like that town, but I do not appreciate the coldness and whispers and looks that I received for having a kid. I thought they were rude and lacked a small town feel that tourists come to love by visiting sleepy towns like this. I promise - I travel all over DC, MD and VA as well as CO and FL with our daughter. I love small towns. That's usually the best place to take kids! Everyone smiles and gives you the grandparent's love that you miss when being away from family. Here - it was whispers, moving away like she had a disease, and when we smiled - they frowned and moved away.

P.S. To YMCA-Buns. You bring a valid point, but not everyone needs to read (nor respond) to everyone's post. I was looking to see if I missed something... maybe this is a town where people really don't appreciate kids. Maybe there was a demographic that lived and/or vacationed here and was not receptive to kids. I just wanted to find out if we should avoid it for the rest of our trip. Obviously, giving helpful advice is not your strong suit.

Freeland, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

Must have been on a hot crowded weekend when probably 80% of the people there are tourist. Yes, summer weekends are fun. The traffic quadruples and some people seem to think that laws and rules don't apply here. A lot of self-centered people that think the world revolves around them and they don't have any patience for anyone else. Most tourist are great but seems to be more and more rude selfish people every year. Weekends are worse and you're judging Langley by the looks and whispers of other tourist. Enjoy yourself, why would you care about what other people think. Visit during the midweek when there are less tourist and more pleasant people around. Makes me glad our tourist season only lasts a couple months.

Edited: 12:02 pm, August 14, 2012
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Children in Langley, Washington

I am guessing also that it was tourists.

I'm glad to hear that it was just a feeling you got, not a specific action that shut out you or your child from any activity. I would have been very surprised to hear of anyone turning a cold shoulder to a cute little girl with a bow in her hair!

I'm glad you're meeting more normal people at your other stops!

Reply to: Children in Langley, Washington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted