We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of moving to Kennewick

Which Kennewick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott Valley, AZ
3 posts
Save Topic
Thinking of moving to Kennewick

I'm thinking of moving to the Kennewick, and have heard so many conflicting ideas I've become confused. The story is long, but main points:

A. I work in a builder design center, my work has become so slow that I will have to make a change soon whether I want to or not.

B. I have been managing a duplex for a man who is on a mission in cambodia, I have supported his work 100% something has happened to make me seriously question his motives. Come the first of the year I may need to find another place to live.

C. I have grown up in Arizona, but have been told by dermatologist that my skin was not designed to live in sw. But I do not know that I could adjust to such a drastic change as Portland. I spent 4 months in Coos Bay, loved it. My knees didn't.

D. Housng has gone up 94% in the last 3 years, I gave up my house in a divorce. I have no hopes of owning another home here.

E. My daughter and Grandchildren are in Seaside, thats a 20 hour drive from here, just 4 1/2 hours from there. Much more doable.

Glad I did this, may get me more focused responses. i think the rest of the northwest is beautiful, I look foward to exploring the whole area. I didn't mean to get involved in comparing home towns. Just want to hear from folks who have been there and what they think of it.

Thanks, kljnaz

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
364 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

I don't live in the Tri cities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland) but would add that the Tri cities area is the warmest and driest area in Washington probably as close to the Southwest climate as you are going to get in the state of Washington so not sure how that area will fit with your skin concerns.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

Our kids lived in the Tri-Cities area for 5 years. In the summer it is hot--but generally not as hot as Phoenix in summer, plus there is often a breeze. Winters tend to be cold with some snow, but not the abundance of rain that we get on the west side of the mountains. Spring is beautiful, but the wind blows nearly all the time.

When our kids lived there I would tell them that if I could move my house and yard from here to there, I would love it. After 5 years though, they got really tried of the sand blowing and moved back to the west side of the mountains.

It is, however, very beautiful country and the Snake and Columbia Rivers are very accessible if you enjoy any sort of water sports.

You might also want to consider the Yakima area. It is a little closer to the mountains and green trees, but still sunnier and drier then on the west side. I'd suggest Bend, OR also except that the yuppies from CA have moved in there and prices have gone out-of-sight.

Prescott Valley, AZ
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

Thanks for you responses, I will look at Yakima, I like trees and am not crazy about blowing sand. I actually live 90 miles nw of Phoenix, I grew up in Phoenix. The weather here is milder than Phoenix. I have been to Bend, OR it was beautiful. I have been told that the California influence had reached there. It is what caused the price increase in our housing market.

I would love to get more into kayaking. I have done a little of it here on a couple of small lakes. Recently I was looking a the Kennewick newspaper and saw a picture of two men pulling their kayakes out of the water, the caption said they tried to go once a week during their lunch. Wow, that would be awsome.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

Actually, you might really like Yakima. I have relatives that have lived there for years and they love it! It's in orchard and wine country and they seem to be doing a great deal to improve their city.

Wonderful walking/jogging trail that goes for miles along the Yakima River. Less than an hour drive to Rimrock Lake in the Cascade Mts, just a little further to Mt. Rainier National Park. Check the website at www.yakima.org

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

I have lived in Yakima, so here is my .02 worth, lol! Definitely check out the west side, West Valley specifically.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

Maybe this thread is too old but....

while we have really likes the Tri-Cities area if that seems a little too hot or barren (except by the river) maybe also consider Walla Walla. Not sure what the job prospects there are but it is a very nice smallish college town (OK, the prison too) that sits a bit higher on the edge of the slopes of the Blue Mts. Good access to I-84 too to head for the coast. Very laid back. And...with the prices for wheat lately could become a bit of a boom town.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

kljnaz, I don't know if you're still watching. I sincerely hope things work out.

My best friend moved to Pasco, and he kayaks all the time -- every morning, in fact. He's always telling me about the birds and mammals he sees. This summer, we kayaked on the Snake, the Palouse, the Columbia (a bit more challenging because of the wind) and then drove "up the hill" and kayaked on mountain lakes east of Mt. Rainier. Then we drove "over the hill" and kayaked around the San Juan Islands. It's so easy, I refer to it as "the zen of kayaking". This includes the price of "getting in", and the weight, and the easy learning curve. By the way, my friend can't swim.

If you're in Prescott in part because of the fairly-nearby impressive scenery, Washington won't disappoint in its own way. Near enough are Rainier, Adams, Baker and Hood -- all breathtaking. Then there is Mt. St. Helens. But you already know this.

From the outside looking in, the cost of living seems pretty reasonable, compared to many places, and there seems to be a lot of development. But I didn't get the feeling that the economy is very strong. Contradictory, I know, and I haven't asked my friend why. There's obviously a lot of ag business, and in particular, there is a budding wine industry. But there is a lot of hardscrabble, too, probably like anyplace. (Actually, there are A LOT of manufactured and mobile homes, should this be a budgetary factor.)

All in all, a nice area for long drives, long thoughts... and kayaking.

8. Re: Thinking of moving to Kennewick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kennewick