We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trusted advice or unfair bias?

Which Kelso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelso, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Trusted advice or unfair bias?

How can Tripadvisor give a fair unbiased look at hotels when when anyone can make false, unfounded & libelous claims about their experience? Also, how can this site claim to be unbiased & fair when Best Western is a major sponsor (on top of the page)? Just wondering.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

you pretty much answered your own question. you sort of average the reviews, its pretty easy to tell which are planted.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

Perhaps you misunderstand. TA itself does not make claims or write reviews bad or good. We do, the Trip Advisors - if we wish to do so. So do folks who simply post a review.

As Katzgar points out, you can drop the best and the worst reviews if you wish, and rely on the average reviews. Sometimes the average rating is high (or low) for a given lodge.

Experienced readers can usually pick out the reviews that appear to be positive but "planted" and the negative reviews that come from someone with other, non-related, issues.

Would you share the reason for posting your comment?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

The best monitor and control vs. unfair reviews and commentary are the follow-up responses from others who have had different experiences. I'm not sure what was said about Kelso to set you off (and I'm not going to take the time to see, since I have nothing to add one way or another about that town), but if you have a reason to say something is wrong, this is your platform to saying so. Not just calling something libelous, but by giving everyone correct information and an accounting of your more positive knowledge and experience.

None of the opinions expressed on TA come with certificates of authority or warranty. In general, however, you will get the collective knowledge of those who best know the area, have stayed in the lodgings listed and can help visitors have a positive experience.

As in all travel research, it is up to the researcher to determine what sounds right and fits his or her personal tastes and needs. And you should always use a variety of travel sources...including those found at book stores, in libraries, online and from various official travel agencies.

Balance those against what you see on TA...which is usually more up to date than any of the other sources, since it's being added to hourly.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

I'm just surprised that you think that the reviews come from TA, not from travelers. Get a grip.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

Did you notice that it was the original posters first post what's up with that and as others have said NO reason was given for the negative comments, hmmmm.

collie

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

there is a Dentination Expert forum just for DE's and this discussion has taken place. First of all any vendor has the opportunity to give a mgmt response if they choose. TA does have a procedure to weed out 'fake' reviews, but honestly as a reader when you see a review from a one time poster who registered the same day they wrote the 'review' then never posts again you can sort of dismiss those. The thing I like is the amt of positive reviews on TA vs just a lot of complaining.

In regards to the Best Western bit, whatever you click on brings up a different ad. I don't understand computers but I'm surprised when I travel that I get ads for where I am. Its a cookie type thing I couldn't begin to explain.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

I'm a little 'perplexed' about what is your actual complaint. The reviews given by posters on TA are sometimes encouraged by various hotels and inns, but I just ignore most post by folks who have made less than 5. Then throw out the really bad and the 'over-the-top' good and I find a pretty good average. I've been fairly succuessful booking aocomodations based on that technique.

The advertising on the website is just what 'pays the bills and online advertising gets really complicated. So much of it is user-based and what comes up on your screen may depend entirely on things you have been previously researching. My daughter used to sell online ads and it was even difficult to explain them to the advertiser.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

I got it!!! It's a plant; TA is testing our knowledge and loyalty! LOL

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

Yup, voyaging, per colliegirl's post above, it makes you wonder when a first post is negative and ambiguous - and posted to the Kelso forum? Odd.

Edited: 11:26 am, December 11, 2010
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trusted advice or unfair bias?

I doubt the OP will respond but since there is only one BW hotel in Kelso its pretty easy to figure out. There were a couple negative reviews followed by two glowing wonderful reviews by first time posters, hum??? first time posters. Time to move on

Get answers to your questions about Kelso