We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

house boat in gig harbor

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
house boat in gig harbor

Could anyone tell me their experiences in a house boat in Gig Harbor? Things to do, restaurants etc. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: house boat in gig harbor

I have never stayed in a houseboat, but I do live in GH. There are some nice restaurants- Brix 25, JW, Green Turtle, Anthony's. GT and Anthony's are on the water. There is also a nice restaurant/bar called Tides Tavern that has a nice location on the water. There is also Skansie Park which is also right on the waterfront that has a farmer's market on Wednesdays, live music Tuesday evenings, and outdoor movies during the summer. For activities, there is the Harbor History Museum, and you can rent boats, kayaks, etc, and there are little shops as well.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: house boat in gig harbor

My wife has relatives there. Lovely town! Sounds to me like a great idea. I had a girlfriend that lived on one in Seattle. Sure was a great place to spend time. Her's was very small, but cozy. Only thing is you can give up a certain amount of privacy. Something everyone should experience once IMO.

Edited: 12:18 pm, July 05, 2012
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: house boat in gig harbor

Thanks.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: house boat in gig harbor

Thanks.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: house boat in gig harbor

I have seen some of the houseboats available for rental. They are moored next to the public town dock and Skansie park. The restaurants mentioned in a previous response are all within walking distance. There is a concert in the park on Tuesday nights during the summer month and you would be right there (the biggest one of the summer has already occurred). If you are permitted to take the houseboats out and plan to use them for touring the area, it would be a great idea. If you plan to stay on board only in moorage, a night or two would be all I would consider. There are places for rent in town, vacation rentals or B&Bs that would be better choices and provide more atmosphere.

USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: house boat in gig harbor

I live in Gig Harbor and it is a wonderful and very friendly place to live and to visit. As the reviewer before me said there are many things to do, one he did not mention is renting a kayak at the dock below Anthony's Restaurant. It is a lovely way to spend a few hours and seeing a different side of Gig Harbor. Anthony's Restaurant has a lovely view and very good food . They also have a wonderful happy hour downstairs with a great view of the harbor. Tides Tavern is practically a must if you visit, they have live music at night and really good tavern food. Down the street from the Tides is a restaurant called The Green Turtle, as a true Gig Harbor supporter I want to say that it has one of the most wonderful views of Mt Rainier and the little light house on the spit of the harbor. Enjoy the view and a glass of wine but do not eat there it is dreadful food and dreadfully overpriced. It embarrasses me that visitors get soaked here and definitely leave with a very bad taste in their mouth.

Reply to: house boat in gig harbor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gig Harbor