We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

From what I've read, the Bainbridge Ferry sounds like the way to go if I'll be driving from the airport to Forks. Are there plenty of directions from the airport to the ferry or should I have directions handy? I'm thinking I'll be worried at that time about finding it and using it - I'm sure it's not as big a deal as i'm making it!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

The ferry terminal is in downtown Seattle, and there are signposts that will direct you. Depending on when you're visiting you may encounter some detours and roundabout directions as there's quite a lot of road construction in the immediate vicinity of the ferry terminal.

If you want to avoid downtown Seattle altogether you can just stay on the I-5 freeway northbound to the Edmonds exit, and follow the signs to the Edmonds - Kingston ferry. That will make it a slightly longer journey altogether, but it might be easier to navigate for out-of-towners. Once in Kingston or on Bainbridge Island, the route to Port Angeles and Forks is extremely straightforward.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

I would avoid the ferries altogether and take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge route from the airport. This is the easiest way to get to the Olympic Peninsula from the airport, as it means you do not have to drive into downtown Seattle. This route is not as much fun as either ferry route, but it is faster.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

I agree, the Edmonds/Kingston ferry is more straight forward for visitors now with the viaduct work going on in Seattle.

You can also drive around on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Hwy 16).

None of the three choices are better than any of the others. All about the same once you've gone all the way to Forks.

Have fun,

chuck

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

I guess part of me wants to take the ferry for the experience and views, but it would probably be less stressful to just drive and go by way of the bridge......thanks for the advice! I feel better hearing the recommendations and being informed.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

One question for the OP is what happens after Forks? (Or are you planning on meeting a local and living in the woods forever?)

If you're returning to Seattle, then if time allows you could turn the trip into a big loop - drive via the Pacific coast, back via Puget Sound.

Using the numbers and averages, I know that from the airport, driving via the bridges takes - on average - about the same amount of time as taking one of the ferries, and, depending on one's gas mileage, costs less. It's just that I find the drive to be really, really boring, vs. the ferry trip. The drive can be very trafficky, too, depending on time of day and specific route. But mainly I just find it tedious.

One thing the OP should indicate is how much time is available. Days are very long in July, and there are alternative routes that may take longer, but which could provide a pretty great introduction to the region. The Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey, then across to Port Townsend on the Coupeville boat is one such - way longer and a little pricier, but oh so scenic and interesting.

For the OP, even if you choose to drive from the airport, give serious consideration to taking the Bainbridge Island ferry coming back; the views of the Seattle skyline as you do so are fabulous.

Edited: 9:47 am, May 15, 2012
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

Have you found acommadation in Forks yet?

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

Thanks for the advice and interest in giving responses to my question - I do appreciate it. My daughters and I are flying into Seattle from NJ, driving to Forks to do a bit of Twilight sightseeing, and because of the movies I've become interested in seeing the Olympic National Park and beaches. We are staying 5 nights - so far I'm leaning towards staying at the Pacific Inn for a couple nights and then moving over to Huckleberry Lodge for a couple nights for a change. I had thought of staying at the Oceanside Resort, but I'm not sure about getting Internet out there and I don't know if 2 teenage girls can live without it for a couple days - I know that sounds terrible, but I have to give in to some of their requests too. Anyway, I'm happy to get any advice or suggestions - thanks!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

If you are going to spend 5 nights in Forks, you need to know what to expect. How much do you know about the town? Have you read the many TripAdvisor threads about Forks? The surrounding scenery is amazing, but if your family is not made up of hikers, I think you will be very unhappy after the second night. If you must stay five nights in Forks, consider renting a house. VRBO and Vacationhomes.com both have listings for the area, and there are some pleasant choices.

There is no shopping in Forks, and there is nothing to do at night. There are no good restaurants. There is no place to take a nice walk in the town. The town is poor and limited and quite far from everywhere. As I have said, the surrounding beaches and rain forests are wonderful, but you have to plan for family activities once you get out of the woods or off the beach. If you rent a house you can prepare your own meals, a blessing in an area with no food choices. There is a perfectly good grocery store in town where you could get the fixings, and some rentals provide charcoal grills. You will also not be confined within a hotel room night after night with nothing to do.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

Funny you should mention the Huckelberry Lodge. I stayed there last weekend. It is quite nice as long as you do not mind looking at a couple of stuffed animals on the wall! I much prefer them running around! I am assuming you have a kitchen in the cabin you booked. They also have a jacuzzi and a sauna. What is great about it is they are a five minute drive from town since your kids want to visit Forks. They also have a covered firepit that your kids will enjoy at night. I know the area very well if you have any questions. We have been having summer weather the last few days. Pick your clearest day for the beaches and catch a low tide and a sunset. We did both last weekend. Keep in mind it can be cool on the beach.

I have stayed at the Pacific Inn a few times. Eat burgers and shakes a couple of nights at the Three Rivers Resort on your way to LaPush or Rialto Beach.

Oceanport, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Forks in July - Ferry question

My daughters, ages 16 and 20, are quite athletic (and i once was! ;-), so we plan on doing some easier hikes - Hoh Rain Forest, 2nd beach, Marymere Falls - there seems to be plenty to do, so i think we'll figure out a tentative itinerary of what we want to do most. I've been reading reviews, etc. on Tripadvisor for months trying to make decent decisions - I've researched the area quite a bit but you can never know certain things until you've been there, so again, thanks for the advice! I will certainly ask more questions as the trip gets closer......