We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hell's Canyon Tours

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
Hell's Canyon Tours

Hello,

We are looking to trek out from Seattle this July to tour Hell's Canyon via jet boat, and have a few questions:

Is anybody familiar enough with both Snake River Adventures and Snake Dancer Excursions to be able to comment on how these two tours differ?

Am I gleaning correctly from the reviews that the 11 hour tours into the canyon feel manageable? At first glance, 11 hours feels pretty long, but it sounds like most people find the tour to be action-packed enough to enjoy the length? Anybody have experience doing both tours that can comment on how they compare?

How hot does it actually feel while out on the boat? Do I need to be worried about coming in July when it's over 100 degrees, or does being out on the water counteract the heat enough? Am I correct in assuming that, when there's high wildfire activity throughout the state, this area will be heavily impacted?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how to visit the Hell's Canyon area...looks like the area is huge with entry points from WA, ID, and OR. For this trip, we'll only have two nights. If we're planning to use one day to do the jet boat tour out of Clarkston, are there any other "must do" Hell's Canyon activities that are around this same general entry point? We won't have time to drive way over to the Wallawa/Oregon side or other more remote parts of the canyon....if I just Google "Hell's Canyon activities", the results are spread out over a huge geographic area. Would love to know what we shouldn't miss if we are staying around the Clarkston part of this region.

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
95 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Hell's Canyon Tours

It has been a few years since I lived in the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley, so that is the disclaimer that you get with this answer when it comes to the 2 tours. Snake River Adventures has been in business a little longer, but I don't remember hearing any reports that one was significantly different from the other. It will be hot. It will be hot anywhere you go in this area during July. Wear a hat, suncreen, plenty of water.

The Nez Perce National Historic Park has a visitors center nearby on the way to Lapwai, ID (Think 15 minutes from Clarkston) that is quite well done. I would take the time to explore it.

https://www.nps.gov/nepe/index.htm

Fields Spring State Park out of Anatone would be a interesting stop for some local hiking trails. The increase in altitude will help with the heat a little.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Hell's Canyon Tours

I just realized I never responded. Thanks so much for your suggestions, they are much appreciated!

Reply to: Hell's Canyon Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Clarkston