We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Either or?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Either or?

We are planning to go through Centralia/Chehalis area and was just wondering if either of these places is better than the other.

We are in our 50's not into nightlife but like cozy, funky, laid back kind of places.

Thanx.

Mentioned in this post
Chehalis
Chehalis
Washington
8 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Either or?

I cannot advise you on the towns, but if you choose Centralia, I can vouch for the Best Western there. It is a very comfortable, well run hotel. I hope you will have the time to visit Mt. St. Helens, a true marvel.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Either or?

Funky in Centralia/Chehalis??? good luck

Mentioned in this post
Chehalis
Chehalis
Washington
3. Re: Either or?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:32 am, April 28, 2013

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Either or?

Probably as funky as it gets in the area:

www.mcmenamins.com/451-olympic-club-home

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Either or?

Thanx for the reply. We will be heading out to the coast after one night in the Centralia area so won't be able to make it to Mt. St. Helen's, maybe next time.

Do you know anything about Hwy 6 out to the coast? Decent road, scenic and points of interest?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Either or?

We will be driving thru' with a one night stop over in this area. Would you have any recommendations as to a mid-priced hotel and a good place to eat, not too expensive but good food and atmosphere?

Also, would you have any info on Hwy 6 out to the coast? How is the road, how long does it take and any points of interest?

Thanx again.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Either or?

I am not a big fan of either town, but I think there is a Red Lion in Centralia. My car broke down in Centralia on my way to an Emmy Lou Harris concert in Portland with a special date at the time in 1981. Sorry but I cringe every time I pass the exit on I 5. I have not driven Hwy 6 in many many years, but it is fine. Two lanes of course. Some part of it are kind of scenic. Watch your speed when you go through small towns. Another bad memory. Where are you trying to get to after Centralia and Chehalis?

Mentioned in this post
Chehalis
Chehalis
Washington
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Either or?

Why Centralia/Chehalis? If you are coming from Victoria, I suggest an overnight in Olympia. What is your destination on the coast? If we had a little more on your itinerary, we might be able to give you some more interesting places to stop and see.

Chehalis has Walmart and Applebees and Centralia has the Outlet Mall and downtown Antique District. Personally, I think McMenamins Olympic Hotel is dark and dreary. Highway 6 is an interesting road to the coast.

Mentioned in this post
Chehalis
Chehalis
Washington
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Reply to: Either or?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Centralia
Recent Conversations