We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Weekend Getaway

Which Bellingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medina, WA
Level Contributor
400 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Weekend Getaway

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and looking for the romantic spa type of accomodations and thought the Chrysalis Inn fit the bill. I also was thinking of having dinner at Nimbus Restaurant, any experience with this place? Was curious on any comments to my choices and if the train really ruin the ambiance at Chrysalis? Open to options.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

The Chrysalis is a lovely hotel and the staff is really nice. The train goes by about 1130pm and again sometime in the middle of the night - the hotel provides earplugs. It isn't "shake you out of your sleep" loud, but if you aren't used to it it is a little jarring. Personally, I like the sound - but then I've lived here for a long time.

Nimbus is a perfect place for a before or after dinner drink (nice view of town and yummy martinis) but the food isn't worth it - I would suggest going to dinner a Guiseppe's a few block away, the food is wonderful and ambiance is much more romantic.

Mambos (Fairhaven) has great food, but the ambiance isn't too romantic (have an after dinner drink upstairs at the Black Cat).

Hearthfire (at the marina) also has great food and a nice ambiance - that would be a nice place for lunch if you are spending part of the day wandering the marina area. (The Cobb salad is really good)

Medina, WA
Level Contributor
400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

Thank you so much. I heard about the train but I willing to deal with since the accomodations and location are perfect. I will wear those earplugs they supply. Train noise doesn't bother me unless one is trying to sleep. LOL I really appreciate your opinion on the restaurant. I recently read reviews on Nimbus and people have said the prices are outrageous and the portions are like "sample" size portions. I was considering the restaurant you had mentioned Giuseppes and looked at the website and did appear to be very romantic and I like the piano music as well. I think we will give it a try. I love good italian food. Thanks so much for your response.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

Hi Jersey Girl! I second that for the Crysalis for a romantic place to stay with a spa. The train shouldn't ruin your stay at all. You probably won't even really notice.

I haven't had any "experience" with Nimbus, not that we haven't tried. We tried 2 different times to get reservations with our family to no avail. My guess from that is that they are popular and busy. I, too, have heard that their prices are not worth what you get, so haven't tried too hard since booking a reservation. One thing about Bellingham, there is no shortage of great places to dine!

As for a "romantic" place to dine, I would recommend The Cliff House! It overlooks Bellingham Bay. I love to dine there during the summer months about the time when the sun is going down. It's just beautiful and very romantic.

They have a whiskey crab soup offered (or salads) for an appetiser that's just to die for! Their lobster tails are HUGE! You really get what you pay for and then some.

As for Italian food, D'Anna's is an addicting place to go. Not so "romantic." Very reasonable, authentic, and laid back. It's one of our favorite's for lunch downtown.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

See, in my mind the Cliff House is a place to have a drink and oyster shooters - but yes, the food is very good and if you get a window table - the view is lovely. The Cliff House is on the way from the hotel to downtown - so maybe a stop there for apps?

D'Annas would be a good stop for dessert - they have hired the pastry chef from the (now closed) Calumet.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

My bad, Jersey Girl! Congradulations on your 20th anniversary! I did not mention, my husband and I go to Anthonys on the Bay every year for our anniversary. It, too, is at the marina. We had our 28th this year there!

I was all pumped about the Cliff House, as I just celebrated my birthday there and can still taste the lobster!

The Mahi-Mahi taco's at Anthonys is flavorful! They'll even bring desert with numbered candles if you let them know it's your anniversary!

As for romanance...it's what you make it where you are! All the places I have recommended are with note to D'Anna's, which BTW has been consistant with being "people's choice" for best Italian in Bellingham!

Have a wonderful and romantic time and stay in Bellingham!

Medina, WA
Level Contributor
400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

Thanks everyone. I have taken all the recommendations and wrote them down so I don't forget. We may stay for 2 nights now in order to enjoy all these great restaurants! I will report back on my return.

7. Re: Romantic Weekend Getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 30, 2009