We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

california
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

We are flying from California with our 3 grandchildren 8,10,12 to Bellingham. We have never been to Washington and want a fun adventure. Not sure if we should stay in the area or drive to either Seattle or Vancouver, Canada to see the sights! We have been to Vancouver before and love Stanley Park and the suspension bridge. Looking for suggestions such as ferry trips, Space Needle, etc. Should we go South or North ( don't really have time to do both), rent a house on one of the islands or just hotel it? Traveling in the next 3 weeks so any so we desperately need help. This is our 1st trip with just our grandkids and want it to be one that they remember. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

I guess we all will ask why Bellingham, although it IS IMO one of Washington's nicest towns and small cities. Marie I am sure will follow with advise. If you want to go for a nice drive to a gorgeous location visit Mount Baker. Look at photos of Picture Lake and Artist's Point. Some of the best views in the whole State. It is very late to find last minute accommodations on the Islands. I am assuming that you are flying out of Bellingham?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

I'm assuming they are flying into Bellingham on Allegiant...

kindredCali, lodging can be really expensive and scarce in summers along our coasts. I think home rentals (ie Homeaway/VRBO) are your best bet for value for the experience, and would suggest you take a look at options and then ask when it's narrowed down. I don't know when you're traveling, but you can put in your dates, filter by rooms and cost, then look at a map of all the coast area.

There's really so much to do all over the area -- outdoor activities like beaches and hikes, whale watching, farms, festivals... but depending on timing many spots may be booked or at very high rates.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

Surprising that you don't have any plans in place at this late date. There are quite a few new hotels in Bham but none of them are anything special, located in walkable areas, or places I'd want to spend a week with a family. And knowing nothing about the area, having not been here before, i think will be a challenge with three grandkids In tow. Not that there aren't plenty of things to do; our family of seven has lived in & enjoyed this area for over 20+ years. But much of what we do is rooted in living & playing here - relying on our bikes, kayaks, etc.

Going up to Vancouver for at least a day or two is a nice option, but again, you may be limited as to lodging availability (especially with a group of five). And you'll need to take possible border waits and proper border crossing documentation into consideration.

Heading the other direction to Seattle may be easier in that you'll avoid the border. Trade-off is that Puget Sound corridor traffic is awful. But Seattle will allow

for more traditional tourists-with-children outings like the zoo, aquarium, etc.

Honestly, you need to self-inform a bit and refine your questions in order to garner some specific advice here. Would love to help but at this point we're going on almost nothing.

~ Colleen

4. Re: Grandparents with grandchildren 7 day vacation…help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 09, 2018