We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in Bellingham

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
October in Bellingham

Planning to visit the area in October. Wondering about the typical weather to expect at that time. Also is it a good time for whale watching, and for hiking and biking ?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October in Bellingham

The weather is always unpredictable here in any given wee except for late Summer when it is almost always dry and generally mild temperatures compared to most of the country. It also depends on when in October. Early October tends to be better than late October. Warmer and drier. Late September and early October is one of my favorite times out here. It can be wet and it can be great. No guarantees West of the Cascades. I have had some glorious times hiking in the Mount Baker area in early October if that interests you.

As for whales it is not the best of times. Killer Whales are a possibility. I love Bellingham. Considered retiring there. I am sure that Colleen will chime in. I think when in October is key!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: October in Bellingham

October is kind of where the weather will break, but there's no set point that happens. So it's usually mild and dry enough that people are out hiking and biking (although really they do that year round. We probably get more rain this time of year than in October, but a lot of the outdoor stuff is starting up right now.)

But yes- less rain, maybe only chilly at night, often clear, fall color, fewer bugs- early to mid october is usually great.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October in Bellingham

Check out average temps and precipitation to get a general idea, but the variances from one year to the next can be pretty outstanding. As mentioned, the earlier in October you're here, the better your chances of warmer/drier weather. I've enjoyed glorious hikes at Mount Baker into mid-October, brilliant foliage and warm rays of sun. I've also endured many miserably wet, cold soccer games at that same time of year. Generally speaking, you can always bike & hike (at least in the foothills) in October. Whale watching is generally on the tail end in early in the month.

When, more specifically, will you be here & how long are you in town?

~ Colleen

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16,451 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October in Bellingham

Mid month for about two weeks. I would sort of expect some variables over two weeks almost anywhere. So hopefully some glorious days in there. First time on the west coast.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October in Bellingham

October is actually the best time for hiking in the Bellingham area. The trails at Mount Baker are finally clear of snow and so beautiful with all the fall colors! Stop by the Bellingham Visitor Center at 904 Potter Street for maps and directions. It's a great time for biking as well. Whale watching is done by the end of September, but the Schooner Zodiac has a couple of October sails. Great list of fall activities at: https:/….

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,225 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October in Bellingham

weather is always unpredictable

---

Yes, and on our several visits, we were lucky to experience very nice weather.

7. Re: October in Bellingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 14, 2018