We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I rent a manual car?

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I rent a manual car?

I tried most of the rental places, none have them. I will soon be travelling to Europe and thus wanted to get in touch with manual transmissions beforehand.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

Standard rental places will not have manual transmissions. There isn't a market them for them here in the US (We're lazy and the knowledge of how to drive a manual is facing extinction). You might try Rent-a-wreck? https:/…cheap-car-rental-seattle-WA.html

Another option, depending on how much you were willing to spend on renting a car and how much you really want to practice, is to buy a dirt cheap manual car off craigslist. It really doesn't matter what you buy, since you need it to last weeks, not years (or months).

For examples:

bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4412157825.html

…craigslist.org/sno/cto/4450916691.html

…craigslist.org/oly/cto/4446395611.html

skagit.craigslist.org/cto/4454401497.html

…craigslist.org/kit/cto/4445281772.html

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

What about driving school? Maybe they'll let you do it for a few hours or a day.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

I kind of doubt driving schools will have sticks. Yes we are a lazy bunch. With Google cars coming soon we won't know how to drive at all.

But, OP can request an automatic in Europe. So that should solve the problem.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

Not just a matter of laziness, though many like to say that. When used properly, manual transmission can save fuel costs, but if not used properly, it can cost more. Rental companies know that. And they want to have cars that anyone can use. There is a wide variety of "automatic" shfit cars; some requiring at least some shifting (or allowing for it if you choose). If you want a manual shift car, call individual companies, and see if they have any specialized cars (e.g., sporty models) with manual transmissions. It's not clear if OP checked with rental car companies in Europe, including outlets of U.S. companies (e.g., Avis, Hertz).

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

you can request an automatic in Europe, but companies don't have very many of them, and they cost a LOT more to rent normally. Definitely better to try to learn stick.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

This posting was from 2014 so hopefully the OP found an answer already.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

Where can I rent a manual shift car in mid July in Seattle area?

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

Stephanie, probably nowhere.

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

I already know how to drive stick and it can be challenging. You might consider calling some used car sales places to see if they would rent you a manual. My very small hometown had no rental car outfits, but the 2 used car dealers would rent vehicles to people. Worth asking.

10. Re: Where can I rent a manual car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, July 09, 2017