We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

Miami, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

Hello,

I've been reading many posts here but can't figure out if it is best to stay our first night in Seattle (with a car) or drive to Tacoma & stay overnight (I thought this would be a good halfway point) or just take the last ferry to Bainbridge Island with the car and immediately check in a hotel in the wee hours of the morning. The next day is to be spent visiting Bainbridge Island, then moving on to Poulsbo, Chimacum and Olympic National Park.

2nd question - What area would a good home base to take day trips to these surrounding areas from? Poulsbo? Also, we like quaint towns but also like having gym nearby if not onsite at the hotel/lodge/inn.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Tacoma
Tacoma
Washington
Poulsbo
Poulsbo
Washington
Chimacum
Chimacum
Washington
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

What if your plane is late and you miss that last ferry? That, to me, says don't plan on that. Also, I don't know that there are any true hotels on Bainbridge--they tend to be b&b/inn type places, that may not accomodate midnight arrivals (perhaps you've found a place that will, though).

Tacoma is the wrong way, if driving from Sea-Tac to Bainbridge.

None of those areas will be a good base for Olympic--they are too far. If you wanted a base for exploring the Kitsap Peninsula/Hood Canal area, Port Townsend is nice.

Mentioned in this post
Tacoma
Tacoma
Washington
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

Christy1 is right. All of these are terrible bases for ONP. Also, Bainbridge Island and Poulsbo, while pleasant, mildly interesting places, do not deserve a full day of exploration, especially in comparison to ONP or Seattle. Chimacum is a fly speck. If you are serious about exploring ONP, stay at the Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles. Get a day pass for the Y on 4th and Francis Street. It's a nice workout facility.

What are you hoping to see and do in ONP?

Mentioned in this post
Poulsbo
Poulsbo
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Chimacum
Chimacum
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Miami, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

We would like to see Hurricane Ridge at ONP. Also, my sister lives in Chimacum so we are going to see a few farms and several wineries and stay with her a few nights. We are also going to the Wooden Boat Festival on Sunday. By the way, we are leaving tomorrow night. My main concern is arriving at midnight, picking up our rental car and not knowing where to stay with parking. If I can't get on the last ferry which is the correct way to drive towards Bainbridge? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Chimacum
Chimacum
Washington
Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

Don't know where Christy got the idea that Tacoma is the wrong way to drive to Bainbridge, if you fly in to sea tac then you go south thru Tacoma over the Tacoma Narrows bridge and on to the Kitsap Peninsula. It is about an hour from the bridge to Brainbridge Island. That is the only way to drive to BI without taking a ferry, I do agree with her that if you miss the last ferry from Seattle you are out of luck. And there are no real hotels on BI. If it were me I would get a hotel by the airport and head out in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Tacoma
Tacoma
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

That's what I was thinking, too. It is going to be a long day. Then you can take the ferry in the morning, which is a very pretty ride.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

There are a few motels on Bainbridge and this time of year you will have no problem getting a room. If you did take the Narrows Bridge (and I would) you would not want to go out of your way to stay on Bainbridge anyway! You could stay in Gig Harbor or Poulsbo. Poulsbo has a Holliday Inn Express and the Poulsbo Inn. I can not speak for you, but f I had two drivers, I would head for Chimicum and see how you feel. It is mostly four lane road untill you get to Poulsbo. It is dark most of the way and you may want to just go as far as Gig Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor
Washington
Poulsbo
Poulsbo
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

Don't forget we are three hours later than you -- plan accordingly and nap on the airplane if you are going to be driving in the very wee hours, Miami time. Start setting your clock ahead early by staying up extra late late a few days before you depart if you are going to drive after you fly.

You can get a 4* hotel at the airport on Priceline for $50 or so.

8. Re: Stay in Seattle/Tacoma -driving to bainbridge -arriving 12AM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, April 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bainbridge Island