We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bainbridge Island

Findlay, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Bainbridge Island

Traveling with a group of friends to Seattle for a long weekend soon. Would like to take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Should we plan a full day or can we see everything in half a day?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bainbridge Island

Depends on your interests. BI can be an easy half day trip, including walking around the town of BI, right off the ferry terminal.

If you wish to explore further, you could drive to, for example, Poulsbo.

Google the two towns as well as Kitsap Peninsula, on which they are located to see these and other options.

Then inquire further. :)

Ferry Routes and Schedules, WA State Ferries (Beautiful views, ride at least one, perhaps Bainbridge Island).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Edited: 10:25 pm, May 16, 2011
Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bainbridge Island

If you are staying in downtown Seattle, walking onto the ferry guarantees no long wait and saves you money, but limits your access to sights in Winslow, the part of Bainbridge close to the ferry dock. You can see it in half a day. The ferry trip over will actually provide the best sightseeing experience.

Winslow has a funky historical museum, a couple of wine tasting shops, a book store, gift shops, and good restaurants (especially San Carlos).

If you have to drive to the ferry, parking in Seattle is expensive and you might as well just drive onto the ferry. Plan on a wait on weekends. We do not aim for a particular ferry, just show up and then walk the Seattle waterfront while we wait. A car will allow you to visit Poulsbo, or spend time on the road and drive to Port Townsend. Of the two, Port Townsend is more scenic and feels less like Shopping World.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bainbridge Island

We could use more information about your trip - # days, interests, etc.

If I had out of town guests, and they had the time, I'd recommend, strongly, Whidbey Island rather than Bainbridge Island. See websites, below.

I have a different opinion about seeing Winslow (now called, I believe, Bainbridge Island). IMO, it's an easy walking town, including to/from the ferry. Unless RooseveltHS, you meant to say "...to Winslow" rather than "in Winslow". :)

Word is, however, that there is construction there, so Whidbey might be a better choice.

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is characteristic of many of the features of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

http://www.go-washington.com/Whidbey-Island/

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bainbridge Island

If you do not want to drive anywhere then Bainbridge is a good option for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Yes the main drag is indeed tornup right now. You can still access everything, but it is not at its best right now. Should be quite nice when they are done. You can rent bikes and or scooters if you want to explore the island. I used to live there and it is quite pretty and fun to explore. Most people only see the main road on their way to the Olympic Peninsula. They have a small saturday Market on Saturdays from 9 to 1.

Edited: 3:29 pm, May 18, 2011
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bainbridge Island

Oh by the way I was born in Sandusky.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bainbridge Island

I was told there are some pretty gardens about 10 miles away from downtown. Can anyone tell me if they are super hilly or a strenuous walk? I'd like to walk around but I'm not in great shape for hills. Any help? :)

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bainbridge Island

If you are still talking Bainbridge Island, then you must mean Bloedel Reserve. The closest a bus will get you is a mile from the gardens. You will need a car. It is easy walking.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bainbridge Island

Less than 10 miles south of downtown is lovely Kubota Gardens, I'd say easy walking.

Do any of the gardens on this page ring a bell?

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=gardens+in+the+seattle+area&cp=0&qe=Z2FyZGVucyBpbiB0aGUgc2VhdHRsZSBhcmVh&qesig=7aiGxhi-UI9m3oEFZ3KWfQ&pkc=AFgZ2tlDaIgGFiKixbDplC_6Tja2BxyExBnqZcjaAdNAS46eZXQGfXWh5rxk8cm4_pso8PkSDQd8Dkp5xNTmBzh_6osrzJ6cVw&pf=p&sclient=psy&nord=1&site=webhp&source=hp&aq=0j&aqi=&aql=&oq=gardens+in+the+seattle+area&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6782d3fc39a1f682&ion=1&biw=1360&bih=679

Edited: 11:15 pm, June 05, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bainbridge Island

I can't open that link and it won't copy/paste as it's too long. Are Kubota Gardens on Bainbridge Island? I think my hosts were talking about Bloedel Reserve but I will have to verify.

I'm hoping it's the 'easy' walk that people have posted.

Any wonderful recs for restaurants that serve veggie selections??

Thanks for any and all help! I'm also taking recs for Seattle and Vancouver!

Varda

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bainbridge Island

Kuboto Gardens is South of Seattle, not on Bainbridge. Find out which gardens they are talking about.