We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which should we take the kids to FIRST?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
which should we take the kids to FIRST?

after reading forum posts and distinguishing between the jamestown settlement and historic jamestown, i've determined that we're just going to have to see both on the same day. we have kids who will be 11,13, and 3 years old.

first of all, seeing both is doable in one day, right?

secondly, which would you take the kids to first? what i'm trying to avoid is a let down if one is more fun for kids than the other. my initial instinct is to the go to the historic site first and then take them to the settlement with the forts and boats.

third, are the admission tickets separate?

thanks!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which should we take the kids to FIRST?

I believe they are the same thing. So I think your worries are non. Been a couple of time with my children. Not sure your 3 year old will enjoy it as much as the other two. There are some hand on things they will enjoy .

You didn't mean to Say Jamestown and Williamsburg Did you ?

Edited: 9:12 am, November 30, 2013
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which should we take the kids to FIRST?

You should look into all of the Historic Triangle combination tickets for the best deal for your family in Williamsburg, including Colonial Williamsburg.

The Historic Jamestown site is spread out and includes alot of open space and a good museum. Jamestown Settlement has the replica fort and ships as well as an excellent museum. Personally, I would start at Jamestown Settlement, so the kids have a better understanding of what they will see at the actual historic site.

I would guess you may spend 3 -4 hours at the Settlement. The rest is up to you.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
572 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which should we take the kids to FIRST?

Your idea seems to be the most logical. The older children may well enjoy seeing the original site with the archeological dig, the archearium complete with skeletons and weaponry and ruins. The film that shows there is very interesting. Ranger led tours are the best. Historic Jamestowne is $14 for those over 15. After getting your historical bearings here, then go to the Settlement where there is a recreation of the fort, a native village, and replicas of the three ships that brought the colonists here. Children usually find this site to be their favorite. Admissions here are $16 per adult and $7.50 for children 6-12. Yes, both sites can be seen within a day. Both sites have cafes where you can have lunch.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which should we take the kids to FIRST?

While they both depict life of the Virginia Company in the 1600s, they really aren't the same. Jamestown Settlement often has more "hands-on" exhibits, but the actual site of the first landing, Historic Jamestowne, has a wealth of artifacts and archaeological finds that help illuminate what their lives were like.

When you go to Historic Jamestowne, don't miss the Glass House where glass blowing demonstrations in the 17th century way occur. They open at 8:30 if I remember correctly and are included in the NPS admission.

5. Re: which should we take the kids to FIRST?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 02, 2014