We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CW Thanksgiving weekend

nyc
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
CW Thanksgiving weekend

Visiting CW for the first time on Thanksgiving weekend 2013. Very grateful to all of you who post in this forum; I've gotten answers to lots of my questions, but here are several more:

1) Hotel -- would love opinions on any of the five I'm considering: Holiday Inn Express W'burg North; Hampton Inn & Suites; Comfort Suites Bypass; Hilton Garden Inn; Wiliiamsburg Lodge. We will have a car. Most important to us are an indoor pool and a decent fitness room.

2) Dining -- Three of us are vegetarians. We'd love to have a meal at one or more of the historic taverns, but wonder if the menus will work for us?

3) Thanksgiving meal -- we arrive midday on Thanksgiving... we are NOT looking for a turkey dinner. Any advice on basic lunch/dinner options on the holiday?

4) Must-see exhibits/activities for ungirly girls 10 and 14?

5) Is Busch Gardens worth a visit at this time of year?

THANK YOU, travel tipsters!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

1) - If you're staying at the Lodge, you will have access to the pool and fitness room at the Spa, which is across the street. I'm not familiar with the facilities at the others.

2) - There is usually at least one main on the menu that is vegetarian, but probably not vegan. Have you looked at the menus on-line? That will give you a good idea of what's available.

3) - Ordinarily, I'd recommend Food for Thought (a good option during the rest of your visit), but they will be closed on Thanksgiving. If you plan on The Whaling Company, where you can order off the menu, you'll need a reservation. Not sure what else is open that isn't doing a Thanksgiving buffet.

4) - Did anything on the Events Calendar at CW appeal? colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/calendar/#Even… They might enjoy "In Defense of Our Liberty" at the Magazine, or some of the activities at the Powell House, for example.

5) - Busch Gardens Christmas Town starts Nov. 22, and while it might be busy, it's a lot of fun, and the lights and decorations are gorgeous! I'll probably go at least of couple of times, so yes, I think it's worth a visit. Definitely visit the Busch Gardens Williamsburg website to read more about it.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
572 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

1. I could be prejudiced but i think the Williamsburg Lodge is the best option for lodging even though possibly more expensive. CW is within steps of the hotel and the pool/fitness activities are just across the street at the spa. Hotel guests can purchase reduced price length-of-stay passes to CW.

2. Vegetarians are easily accomodated in the Taverns. Just notify your server and the reservationist that you require a vegetarian menu.

3. All CW restaurants and taverns are serving a traditional Thanksgiving meal that day so probably not what you want when you arrive. Yet it seems that many Williamsburg restaurants will be open with their regular menus so you should be able to find fare other than turkey. Restaurants such as Food for Thought and most Italian and Asian places even have vegetarian menus.

4. Your girls should love CW. If they are not into traditional girly activities, there are plenty of trade shops that demonstrate the making of colonial necessities, tours through interesting and unique 18th century homes and buildings, even special tours through the museums which were devised by local teens to be of interest to visiting teens. If you stay at a CW hotel, they can also take a tour of our livestock facilites, Bits and Bridles (reservation).

5. Busch Gardens will open on the 29th with Christmas Town.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

Comfort Suites Bypass is our "go to" hotel in CW.

We are not going to pay the big bucks to stay at the Lodge.

The bottom line is to save money and we find that staying cheap probably saves as much as staying expensive and getting a discount.

Being VA residents we can save $$ by purchasing an annual ticket at a special rate once a year, but that obviously won't work for you.

It probably all evens out in the end, anyway. ;)

Comfort Suites has its own indoor pool and hot tub, fitness room, and there is a good breakfast served free every morning.

The suites are large and roomy.

We usually get a king suite and were amazed at how much room there is- a sitting area with a comfy sofa bed and a 4 foot opaque screen between there and the bed room.

It's a more modern hotel, furnishing-wise, which is normally not my cup of tea.

But I became used to it quickly and we have enjoyed our stays there.

Staff is very friendly, and remember us, and it's close to Cracker Barrel (they have a great veggie plate meal- pick your 4 favorites from a huge list of yummy veggies) and there is a Golden Corral close by too- they have lots of veggie and fruit options.

We are not vegetarians but we eat little meat and tons of plant foods so I can understand your concern on Thanksgiving weekend. ;)

Comfort Suites is also pretty close to the Visitor's center where you can park and pick up the buses for CW.

Edited: 11:18 am, November 07, 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

You might want to check the hotels availabilities because the Lodge has had nothing available for Thanksgiving weekend for over a month now, I am not sure about the other hotels availabilities.

nyc
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

Hi everyone,

A huge thanks to all of you for your super-helpful comments and suggestions.

We've narrowed down our hotel choice to the Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton Garden; will decide after I speak with them. (megan e., you're right that the Lodge is booked... and out of our price range anyway, which I didn't realize before.)

We will reserve a tavern lunch later in the weekend (I still remember Peanut Soup and Spoon Bread from *my* childhood visit in 1970!!) On T'giving Day itself, we'll probably hit one of the ethnic restaurants for a veggie feast. I'm secretly packing chocolate turkeys for a touch of our at-home holiday...

In terms of activities, it looks like Revolutionary City performances will be shut down for the season -- that's a shame. But the trade shops, animals, and various other performances listed on the Calendar should give us plenty to do. Can anyone suggest particular shows at the courthouse and/or the Play Booth theater?

I found a fun kids' activity on the official website: RevQuest, a mystery that the kids begin solving online and finish in person at CW, using a smartphone. Even my jaded, bored-by-everything tween is showing signs of interest! (Any excuse to swipe mommy's phone...)

Again, thanks for being such great travel guides!

6. Re: CW Thanksgiving weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 14, 2014