We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Beverly...
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Hi,

We are travelling to Virginia from Massachusetts over April break. The trip is approximately 10 hours and it is the first all day road trip for my girls ages 7 and 4. We are thinking about leaving at 3AM so the kids can sleep for the first part of the drive. Any tips. Anyone know of any good stopping points that are right off of 95 where the kids can get out and stretch other than a rest area?

Thanks in Advance!

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Use a smartphone app to check on traffic ahead of you. The drive down Rt95 from DC south to Richmond can take 4+ hours and there are few alternate routes. The major alternates are Rt.301 out of Baltimore and Rt.17 out of Fredricksburg.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

I have driven that route 6,000 times. It almost always takes us about 2 hours, or less, from DC to Richmond. You might say 3 hours from DC to Williamsburg. In the case of the worst case, say the evening before Thanksgiving, you may add an hour. As you approach Fredericksburg, VA, perhaps 40 minutes North of Richmond, there will be several little collections of restaurants and shops that might be satisfactory.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Thank you for th tips. I may have a change of plans. Looks like we may decide to leave from MA on Friday after lunch and drive at least half way. We will stop over night and do the rest of the trip Saturday morning. I think we will all be in better spirits and not exhausted when we arrive in Williamsburg. Unfortunately we are not smart phone users so we will have to find a good place to stop based on the GPS.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Allow me to add this: Please be careful on that stretch of I-95. In my experience, it is one of the worst and most dangerous pieces of highway I have ever seen.

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

We also are taking a road trip from Michigan and will be stopping overnight around Rockville MD and then heading the following to Williamsburg.

If we took 95 then onto Us 17 at around Fredericksburg it looks like that route should add 30 minutes.

We don't mind the extra half hour if would be safer and/or more scenic. Which route would you recommend?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Chickie, assuming you are taking the Penn Turnpike, take US 522 to Winchester, Va and continue on I-82 to I-66. Exit on US-17 to Fredricksburg where you can pick up I-95. Unless you have a need to stop in the DC area, this route will avoid all the potential traffic issues around Washington and does not add to the travel time. Winchester or Front Royal would be nice stopping points.

Having encountered traffic issues on the Washington beltline at all hours of the day or night, we travel the route described above whenever we visit Williamsburg.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
289 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Does anyone have good recommendations for places to stop overnight off 95 in the Delaware area. I think we can make it there in 6 hours heading down from MA. We don't have a pool in Williamsburg so I think the kids would enjoy a hotel with indoor pool.

farmington Hills MI
Level Contributor
686 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

Thanks CT design. Usually that would have been a great re-route that you suggested-however we are stopping in Rockville area on the way to visit a friend. But on the way back we will use your suggestion to avoid the beltline area. Thanks1

9. Re: Road trip to Williamsburg from MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 25, 2014