We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal options other than the Taverns?

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Meal options other than the Taverns?

We will be in Williamsburg for three nights and I have made reservations at the taverns for two of those nights. Is that overkill? Also, are there places within the actual historic area itself to stop and eat light lunches during the day that don't require reservations? The website kind of makes it looks like the taverns are the only options. We also are spending one day in Jamestown Settlement for most of the day and then on to Yorktown in the late afternoon evening just to look around the beach/Riverwalk and we made reservations that night for the Riverwalk Restaurant. I honestly thought the High Tide Bar and Grill looked just as good, but it didn't take reservations and this will be a Saturday night so I thought I'd play it safe. Any thoughts on these plans?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal options other than the Taverns?

One other thing: We will probably be at the Jamestown Settlement at lunch time, is the cafe okay for lunch?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal options other than the Taverns?

Two out of three nights might be a bit much. For lunch, the taverns don't take reservations. In addition to the taverns, you can put together a lunch at the Raleigh Tavern Bakery or at Chownings Garden dining area if you want. There are also some places in Merchants Square, at the west end of the Duke of Gloucester Street, such as Aromas, Retros, Smithfield Ham, and the Cheese Shop, that are good for lunch. The cafe at Jamestown Settlement is OK for lunch. Will you also be going to Historic Jamestowne? I ask because the Dale House at Historic Jamestowne is now run by the folks who have the Carrot Tree in Yorktown and on Jamestown Road, and it's pretty good.

High Tide is part of the Riverwalk Restaurant, so when you arrive, you could ask about table availability. Also take a look at the menus and see what you think.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
83 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal options other than the Taverns?

My favorite place for lunch is The Cheese Shop in Merchant's Square. My husband and I both went to William and Mary, and we never miss a chance to get sandwiches (and bring sandwiches home!). The line can get a little long, but totally worth the wait! Another student/local favorite is Paul's Deli - a block or two down Richmond Road from the historic area across the street from the W&M football stadium. Lots of great sandwich choices (the local favorite is the "Hot Holly") and a lot cheaper then a tavern.

4. Re: Meal options other than the Taverns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 26, 2013