We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Could anybody please comment on the new Pottery Factory. I have read some of the comments in the Virginia Gazzette, some good, some bad. I always go there for the blue and white Colonial Williamsburg type pottery and used to get some good buys on the "seconds". Was hoping that they still sell a good selection. Thanks in Advance.

conn
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

it has seen better days but still might be worth a stop for the main shop.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

We went on grand opening and were quite impressed with the size of the buildings and selection now. From what I saw, though, it is quite different from the Pottery of old. You used to get cheap sponges, napkins, pots, pans, and many other miscellaneous items there. They have transitioned into a higher quality product offering now (more upscale) and have a huge food/wine section that reminds me of The World Market. The Pottery now and The Pottery before are practically two different stores, though I think they do have some overlap of "old" selections available. I miss some of the "cheap" stuff, but I do really like the new version!

Midlothian, Virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

I wouldn't waste my time with the new Williamsburg Pottery. There are no good bargains there. The storefronts are charming, but the merchandise is stuff you could find anywhere and at no great bargain prices. What a disappointment when my friend made a trip there from Richmond last week.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Do they still sell the salt-glazed CW pottery, CW birdhouses, etc?

5. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:03 am, August 02, 2012
Central Illinois
Level Contributor
874 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Thanks for all your posts. I just wasn't quite sure that they still sold them, so I asked them on their facebook page and got this answer:

Williamsburg Pottery We most certainly still have and sell them! You probably know that we handcraft 24 historically inspired salt-glaze designs exclusively for Colonial Williamsburg (including the famous brown bird bottle), plus several dozen more designs of our own -- both in the cobalt on gray salt glaze and the brown, brown on yellow styles. Our founder, Jimmy Maloney, was a pottery, and we continue his legacy!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Agreed, very, very disappointing. I live locally & won't waste my time going back, if that tells you anything.

The only thing I really found was some quite cute Americana decor. Unfortunately, the "made in China" stickers -- even on the patriotic items!! -- was quite a turn-off.

The only redeeming feature is the very large Au Bon Pain situated in the parking lot. Otherwise, don't bother.

Hershey, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

Don't waste your time. The old Pottery was charming in a weird sort of way. Lot's of junk but able to find good bargains. The new Pottery looks like any other outlet with a fancy facade. Went just after the grand opening in April of 2012 and was really, really disappointed.

Va Bch
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

I was disappointed in it as well. Although it is pretty there, I much preferred the old one. I did not think that there prices were anything special. It is also set up strange where you are almost walking in circles at times to see everything on display. I probably will not be going back.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Williamsburg Pottery Factory.

We went there 2 weeks ago. We saw 15 pieces of Willamsburg Pottery and they were all "seconds". Most of the rest of the pottery said "Made in Malaysia". The other buildings, well, can you say "Made in China"? We had not been there in many many years and will NOT go back again. That was a waste of our gas. If you are going to look for local pottery - you won't find it. Yes, the buildings are newer but the whole set up screams "Made in China" and you can get the same JUNK at Wal-Mart. GO ahead, drive out to see it -- then tell me if was worth it.