We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to williamsburg

TN
1 post
Save Topic
1st visit to williamsburg

This is our family's first visit to williamsburg. We are excited but slightly overwhelmed at all it has to offer.

1st We are staying at the Princess Anne for a time share promotion. It looks like this was a bad choice according to the feedback on trip advisor.

2nd We are traveling with 4 little men:ages 9,7,5,2.

3rd We want to not overspend.

We planned on a day at Jamestown settlement, a day at colonial williamsburg, a day at Water Country USA, and a day at Busch Gardens.

What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown Settlement
Jamestown Settlement
3,558 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Water Country USA
Water Country USA
2,157 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
United States
United States
North America
Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens
14,726 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit to williamsburg

I stayed at the Princess Anne last year, although I wan't involved in any time share promotion. The property is very dated and a bit run down, but I've stayed in a lot worse. It was quiet and the staff was helpful. If I was on a tight budget I'd stay there again.

I haven't been to Jamestown in awhile, but from what I remember it wouldn't have been interesting for young boys. As an adult, I loved it, but you may want to do a little research and make sure the activities are going to keep their interest before committing to a day there.

I just go for the history, I'm sure someone else will fill you in on the theme partks.

Enjoy your trip.

rod
Marshall, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit to williamsburg

Jamestown and Yorktown are connected by the Colonial Parkway, which also passes under Colonial Williamsburg. The Parkway is accessible without a fee. There are many turnouts with interpretive signs along the way, most of which have good views of either the James or York rivers.

Colonial National Park - web site http://www.nps.gov/colo/index.htm - includes Jamestown Island with the actual site of Jamestown, the Yorktown battlefield, and some buildings in the village of Yorktown. The admission fee is $10 per adult, which includes both the Jamestown and Yorktown portions of the park - the pass is good for 7 days, not just the day you buy it. If you only want to tour one, fees are $8 for Jamestown only, $5 for Yorktown only. The various historic battlefield sites at Yorktown are accessed by public roads, and the park service does not enforce the fee requirements there. The fee at Yorktown gives you access to a movie at the visitor center and to the 3 or 4 historic buildings that can be toured. You can drive around the area visiting the different portions of the battlefield and reading the interpretive signs.

Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center - web site http://www.historyisfun.org/ - are not part of the National Park system, but are provided by Virginia. Admission fees are $17.00 per adult for both, or $11.75 for Jamestown only and $8.25 for Yorktown only. The displays are a lot more interactive than the national parks - for example, at Jamestown Settlement are replicas of the ships the original colonists used to cross the Atlantic, of Jamestown Fort, and of a Powhatan Indian village. I do think the kids would probably like Jamestown Settlement the best. However, I doubt if you will spend a full day there.

Oh, one last thing -- DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE FROM THE DEVELOPER! You can buy a resale timeshare for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price they are trying to get you to pay. For more information about timesharing, go to www.tug2.net where timeshare owners try to help others.

Mentioned in this post
Yorktown
Yorktown
Virginia
Colonial Parkway
Colonial Parkway
599 Reviews
Yorktown, VA
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,138 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
York
York
Pennsylvania
Jamestown Settlement
Jamestown Settlement
3,558 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Hartsdale, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st visit to williamsburg

"Oh, one last thing -- DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE FROM THE DEVELOPER! You can buy a resale timeshare for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price they are trying to get you to pay. For more information about timesharing, go to www.tug2.net where timeshare owners try to help others."

Oh, how I wish I knew this 3 years ago...

Manchester, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st visit to williamsburg

It can't be said enough, DON NOT BUY A TIMESHARE FROM THE DEVELOPER. Timeshares have no resale value and you can pick them up very cheap.

While in the restored area at Colonial Williamsburg, make sure you go to the Raleigh Tavern Bake Shop (located behind the Raleigh Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street) and get your kids the gingerbread cakes and root beer. My kids love these (and so do I). They bake these cakes right on premises and they are fantastic. Eat them right away, because if you try to save them for later, they will be hard as rocks.

I have three boys, and they all love Williamsburg.

They especially love the blacksmith, the miller and the cooper and the old "gaol" (jail).

A good place to eat with kids is the Polo Club. Very good food, large (and cheap) kids meals that are served in a frisbee that your kids can keep.

You will probably be able to do more than just Jamestown in one day. Visit the settlement and glass house and that will be about enough for your kids. That will take about 3 to 4 hours and then they will want something else to do.

You will have a great time and will not run out of things to do to entertain the kids!

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg
10,138 Reviews
Williamsburg, VA
Raleigh
Raleigh
North Carolina
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
malden,ma
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st visit to williamsburg

you should not go on the historical places with kids because when i was little i thought it was boring but you will love it plan more days at the theme parks if you have kids.