We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

nj
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

We recently went on a timeshare tour at Greensprings Plantation in Williamsburg, Virginia. This was to receive 2 free Busch Gardens tickets in exchange for 90 minutes of our time with written guarantees.

We recently went on tour of the Greensprings Plantation for a timeshare tour. We prebooked the tour and received a GUARANTEE for the tour NOT to go over 90 minutes, to not be pressured and to be treated with respect (all documented on a guarantee in writing).

When we got there, they took us early (clock started exactly at that moment). After that the people took us from the sales room to the condo to tour (there was individual pressure one on one while we were trying to look around in the unit model). We have children, and this was extremely unpleasant! Then we went back in the sales room. They purposely SIT you away from view of others being pressured as in the room there are people standing up and saying "enough" and getting frustrated. There are a lot of folks trying to get away and they keep you there. They were to give us tickets for a local attraction in exchange for our time. They continued to pressure us back in this large and very noisy (deafining) sales room. The room is so loud you cannot hear every word your sales rep is saying. 90 minutes was over and they were still trying to find ways to pressure us more. 2 people ganged up on us and was pressuring us. After 100 minutes we asked if we could "go now, and are we done???". They said, "No, you are not done yet". Then they continued to try to get us to buy, and we said NO, a total of 6 times. We also said this was NOT for us a number of ways, but they continued to pressure us. This went on for 200 minutes. Basically at the 100 minute time we felt like suckers and just wanted to get as far away from the place as we could. We never want to hear about, or see Greensprings Plantation ever again. We wanted to leave and they said we had to sit down to finish up. They did NOT honor the written guaranttee or give us anything extra for keeping us over double the time. That is why we are letting you know. Should they had offered us compensation that was worth our additional time, we would not have needed to let people know how bad it was. Be very careful.

One way around this is to ask them in writing in advance what excactly will you receive should they not follow thorugh with any one of the guarantees. (get it in writing). Make sure the offer is good, and ask for additional of what ever they are offering should it go beyond the 2nd chance point. Say every 1/2 hour it goes over you get an extra ticket, or compensation.

Secondly I suggest starting your alarm that will beep on your watch at 85 minutes or so and every 5 minutes after. It's just possible that it will be a reminder to the sales rep that you are keeping tabs of your time (but be sure to start your alarm in front of the sales rep and then tell him why you are doing it). This way if you were to get say 2 more additional free tickets or a free dinner to a Chilis if they go over their 90 minute guarantee these sales folks might get you done earlier. So far nothing has been done and we have made numerous request.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

sorry to hear the trouble you had while down there. that is the main reason i don't do the timeshares. it is an awesome deal, but the aggrivation isn't worth it. my girlfriend has a woman that works with her that does this every year and told her that she should consider doing the timeshare when we go down in August. i told her straight up "NO". the woman she works with said it is a minor inconvience for a great price on a condo while down there. When i am on vacation, i am on vacation. if i have to pay a few hundred more for the week in order to know i am not going to have to go through what you went through it is well worth it. i think these timeshares are shams and the pressure you receive from the people that work there are rude. you now know this so it shouldn't happen again and good luck (anybody) trying to get something extra from these guys if they keep you over.

nj
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

Another tip to help people that have been on timeshare tours is to get everyones full name, date and time one has spoke to them. This and a written guarantee may be helpful. We were contacted and are getting two FREE additional Busch Gardens tickets as we went over double the time. Since we are not going back before the expiration date of this year on the tickets, we are donating them to our church for someone who needs it more than us.

Being we had names, dates and times and we did have the written guarantee that we would not relinquish (even though someone asked for it). This all helped. It still was a pain and stressful. The aggrivation was the worst. The way a business can promise (in writing) one thing and then not follow through is what gets us boiling. If someone has a "I could care less attitude" and nothing bothers them, then this might be a good promo for them, however if you may get irritated with time wasted, or annoying people - skip this. If you want to buy a time share, there are plenty on different internet sites that will be a lot less money and without the pressure or stress. I would not buy anything from anyone who pressures me or who does not follow through from what they say. That shows you they can't be trusted from the get-go.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

This is the way most timeshare presentations go. They alway go over the 90 minutes, and will always bring on the pressure when you say no.

The "free" tickets are how they lure people into taking these high-pressure timeshare presentations. They are certainly not going to give you something without trying their hardest to get you to purchase. They are certainly under no obligation to give you any "extras" because the time went over. After your 90 minutes were up, you should have told them that you were definatley not interested and would like your free gifts as you fufilled your agreement - and left. Another way is to tell them upfront that you never make decisions on the spot and the more agressive they are the less likely you will even consider it; and you will take the info home and call if you are interested. They'll tell you "this price is a one time deal" and you then say "then that will be our problem should we decide to purchase".

My advice is to anyone considering attending one of these presentations for a few "freebies", unless you are willing to give up at least 2 hrs. of your time and deal with the repeated pressure no matter how many times you say no, then it would be better to decline.

nj
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

The follow up responses both are soooo true. Heck even with printed out written "guarantees" from the place the manager said, "there is no way they can go over the 90 minutes due to you having a guarantee". Guess again. They did contact us where they are sending additional tickets for going over, and for not following the guidelines and terms on their guarantee. This is great as they agreed that they kept us more than double the time, and it was like we attended two presentations. So for all those out there, sometimes there is a little compensation when things go out of line at a timeshare presentation. Good Luck though, it's still a pain no matter what way to shake it.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

I'm glad that you are getting something a little extra for all your grief, and I'm sorry that you had to go through it.

I'll tell you a funny story...We already own four timeshares, and are very happy with them. Of course, we get several calls per year offering those "free vacations". I always say I'm not interested in another timeshare. Well this one was for Festiva and I decided that my 12 yr old daughter and I could use a weekend at the beach. They put us up in the Holiday Inn Express at Broadway at the Beach.

I went to the presentation by myself (my husband refuses to attend them) and told the salesperson I was divorced (a lie) and proceeded to tell him that I already owned four timeshares and was not going to purchase anymore. He asked why I came to the presentation and I told him that the telemarketer kept saying "there is no need to buy - just come for the free vacation", so here I am. I told him I was interested in seeing the resort, so he gave me a brief insight as to how their plan works, showed me the resort and unit and I was gone in less than 1 hour. I guess this salesman decided it wasn't going to be worth his time, so he might as well move on to someone he'd have a better change on making a sale with. And yes, my daughter and I had a lovely three days and two nights weekend in Myrtle Beach.

Now, I get so many calls, I don't even have the patience to mess with them anymore. As soon as they start their pitch on the phone, I tell them "No thank you, take me off your list" and hang up if they keep talking. Why anyone would want a telemarketing job is beyond my comprehension!

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
305 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

we booked greensprings for our family june07 thru travelocity or some such site, so had no obligation in advance. upon checkin, they try to get you to sign up for a tour by asking what you plan on doing during your stay and then offering tix to those attractions. as soon as i realized they were pitching, i just had to say 'no' twice and finally got our keys.

had a wonderful stay.

ontario
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

We had a very similar thing happen at Kings Creek in Williamsburg. They just didn't care that they had said 90 minutes. After a great deal of stress and spoiling things, we wrote to the owner. He had us sent a big $50 check (which was what we were supposed to get for listening to the 90 minute spiel), and we left it at that. I guess we just need to learn not to plan anything afterwards -- or we should quit going to them. :(

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

We do this now and then and consider it to be a great way to get freebies and to also see what that resort is like so that we put it on our list of trades for the timeshare that we do own.

By the way, there are many timeshare resale avenues around and that is a good way to buy.

9. Re: TimeShare Tour at Greensprings Plantation, Williamsburg, VA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, October 03, 2009