We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC natural surrondings

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC natural surrondings

Hi!! I am in Washington DC and wanted to meet more natural landscapes nearby (max. 2 hours away). Does anyone know about any small village or resort (not too much expensive) nearby where we could see some nature and maybe go hiking? Thermal waters would also be an option. I dont know nothing here, maybe the Appalachiang mountains?

Thanks!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
4 replies to this topic
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC natural surrondings

You posted in the forum for the small town of Washington, VA, not for Washington, DC. You might look at resorts in or near Hot Springs and Warm Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC natural surrondings

For beautiful scenery, views, and trails, check out Great Falls National Park. Watch white water kayakers and rock climbers as you walk along the ridge.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC natural surrondings

There is a Small town of Occoquan just south of DC right off of 95 also you might like old town of Alexandria on the river or Mount Vernon too

www.historicoccoquan.com/…

http://www.mountvernon.org/

Edited: 10:16 am, January 31, 2014
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC natural surrondings

It sounds as if you are looking for a weekend getaway, but here is a suggestion for an easy day trip from D.C. of which you might not be aware: Prince William Forest National Park.

It is located near Quantico, Virginia, about 45 minutes from D.C. south on I-95. Despite its proximity to I-95, you would never know you are so close to a major road once you are in the park--it's so peaceful. We enjoy going there for a picnic lunch and an afternoon of hiking. There is hiking information on the park's website and the park ranger can recommend hikes based on your skill and interests.

And before or after your hike, you can visit the excellent National Museum of the Marine Corps which is less than a 5-minute drive from the park.

www.nps.gov/prwi

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

Reply to: Washington DC natural surrondings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted