We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you like Jet Noise?

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Topic
Do you like Jet Noise?

Oceana Naval Air Station is right in the middle of Virginia Beach! F-18 Jet Fighter Pilots are trained right here! Prefer a break from the wife and kids? Got some irritating friends tagging along? Then VB is the place to come. These jets land and take off constantly, with wall shaking, ear shattering 100 db backwash, so you will never have to consider talking to your family or friends, since they won't hear you anyway. Your vacation can also be electronics free since watching TV, talking on the phone or listening to music while relaxing on the beach will also best be saved for other more quiet get-a-ways. We live here and are quite sure you'll have quite a memory of your vacation here! It will be truly be a once in a life time experience!

55 replies to this topic
Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

Actually, the sound of the aircraft is one of the attractions for us. If you do find the noise distracting, a few miles south of the resort area is Sandbridge, well away from Oceana. Be sure to get your "I ♥ Jet Noise" t-shirt on Atlantic Avenue.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

This comes up every now and then. Here is the discussion on it last time:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58277-i63-k673167…

We haven't been bothered too much by the noise. Every now and then when something is afoot is gets busier up there but, as others say, the sounds of freedom.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

Not sure the purpose of the OP except to attempt (poorly I may add) sarcasm. Yes, the jets can be bothersome at times-especially when I am on the phone outside I can almost guarantee that one will pass overhead.

But instead of being annoyed I think I can certainly sacrifice a few moments of peace and endure the noise and remember those who sacrificed so much more than that for my freedom. It is part of what makes Virginia Beach so great.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

LynnVB, yes. So often friends, relatives, kids around whether at the beach or inland stop and look up and are in awe.

conn
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

Love the jet noise its the sound of freedom.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

The OP reminds me of city folks who move to the country and are taken aback by the smells of, um, nature from the next-door neighbor's farm. Crops have undoubtedly been raised on that land for decades, and jets have been a part of the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area for equally as long. I'm not sure what the purpose of the original post is either. But, if I was looking for a vacation destination and wanted a quiet one, I'd do enough homework to find out whether Virginia Beach was the right place for me rather than complaining after the fact.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
47 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

As long as the jet noise is coming from Our planes, I'm OK with it :)

I've lived in Virginia Beach since 1952. The Oceana jet base was already in place and operating when we moved in.

A few years ago, after serving 2+ months in a remote area of Hawaii, I called my friend.

I was becoming irritated because I was having difficulty hearing her.

She then told me she was holding her phone out in the direction of a jet passing over head and that it was the sound of freedom.

I cried.

BTW: At one time civilians could take tours of Oceana which were conducted by retired pilots. Check with the Virginia Beach Visitor Information Center for details. A great way to learn about our flying neighbors :)

USA
Level Contributor
216 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

Who doesn't know that Oceana Air Station is here? Good LORD. I LOVE the jet noise. Every time they fly over, I look up and smile!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
47 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

Answer to your question = Either deaf or clueless people!

I love jet noise too.

What could be better than The Sound of Freedom?

United States
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you like Jet Noise?

I've just returned from a three-day stay in Virginia Beach. The last time I was there was a little over 10 years ago. Based on the memories I had during my last trip, I was really looking forward to visiting my "favorite beach"--as Virginia Beach has the best sand of all beaches I have visited thus far. However, I must say that this trip was a great disappointment and will undoubtedly be my last trip to Virginia Beach. I returned home yesterday, and my head is still throbbing from the sound of the jets going overhead. I remember remarking to my travel companion that the noise from the jets must have a long-term negative impact or will result in hearing loss for those who live or spend lengthy periods of time in Virginia Beach.

The government's decision to allow this deafening noise pollution to persist over Virginia Beach is irresponsible and has destroyed one of the most idyllic beaches on the east coast. I will never return to Virginia Beach; it's not worth the ear aches and headaches I am now suffering.

Edited: 12:09 pm, May 21, 2015
Reply to: Do you like Jet Noise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted