We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cumberland, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Homeless people still overtake the boardwalk in Virginia Beach. We stayed at Travelodge and the homeless people took over the benches right in front of us on the boardwalk setting up their umbrellas in the daytime and monopolizing the area in front of the steps to get to the beach. The police don't do a dang thing. We witnessed police handcuffing one of them and taking him away, but leaving the others there. At night, there were 3-4 of them that used the outdoor cafe next door to bed down for the night! I couldn't even sit on our balcony because they were right there! Since my husband golfs in the day and I spend it on the beach, I was very intimidated by these people. September, 2013, I was approached by 3 different homeless people - one asking for money; 2 making rude comments! I discovered Virginia Beach about 6 years ago and loved it and we've been vacationing there every year since! Three years ago, we got married there. We don't plan on making it our vacation spot this year - there are many other beaches to chooose from! Virginia Beach - wake up - give the vacationers back their beach or lose business!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

We stay at The Capes at 20th and have not noticed this.

However, I have to wonder why you would so enjoy VB and then not want to return because of a problem in one area. There are three miles of boardwalk locaitons to choose among. And more miles north of the boardwalk, still in VB, and more miles south of the boardwalk, still in VB.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Like explorer3, we've never had any issues with the homeless. Unfortunately homelessness is a condition everywhere. I'm not sure what exactly the police would do about them, it currently isn't a crime. I'm sure there are some locals who aren't thrilled with all of us tourists taking over the beach every summer ;)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Homelessness occurs everywhere maybe even in Cumberland MD. I have noticed the problem in VA Beach but generally speaking , the homeless don't bother tourists apart from asking for a few dollars.

A little bit of empathy for those less fortunate than you goes a long way.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

There is a homeless population in Virginia Beach. While I can understand the OP concerns about them close to her room, they do not tend to be all over the boardwalk. They seem to be concentrated in the several block area where her hotel is located. There are I believe red boxes along the boardwalk for people to drop change in that the city will use to help the homeless; signs discourage personal hand outs.

We walk the boardwalk every week and have never been harrassed. If it does bother you, I would suggest staying north of 16th street or south of 21st.

Warrington...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

msscarlett55, I stayed with my family in March at the Holiday Inn North Beach and we had a homeless women on a bench in view of our room from early evening until about 1;30am. She didn't seem to bother anyone although it makes you feel sorry as it did get chilly that night. However she had moved on, hopefully to a shelter or warmer spot.

Explorer3, I just booked The Capes for June. Really looking forward to this little place. I like that it is a local owned place.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Slashba, we've always enjoyed out stays there. Always neat and clean. They keep an eye on things. It's kind of like an inn. We like the Italian restaurant across the street and always wind up taking some back to the room for later or the next day. Fireworks are set off from a barge of 20th. Check out www.beachstreetuse.com for times if you haven't already.

Warrington...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Thanks so much for the info.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

YIKES. That link should be www.beachstreetusa.com. I wrote "use" by mistake. All the best.

Warrington...
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

LOl tks!

Save Reply
10. Re: Homelessness on Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, Va.

Come to.NJ and spend the time at the shore then. I live here and refuse to use the beaches at seaside and pointpleasant. Homeless run around taking up realestate, heroine and drugs are a huge issue... the point im trying to make it is everywhere. And if american government stopped helping other countries and helped our own this wouldnt be an issue.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach