We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from VB to New Jersey

new jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route from VB to New Jersey

I am planning to drive back from VB to North NJ in one day. According to mapquest, it will be about 400 miles and take about 8 hours (Route 13 N then Rt. 1 and Turnpike after Del Mem Bridge). Have any tried that? Is 8 hours realistic if I only plan a quick stop for eating. Would it faster if I take Rt. 95 all the way? I heard that Chesapake Bay Tunnel is gorgeours and should not missed though. Please comment

Thanks

Roger

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route from VB to New Jersey

Last year we summer we drove from LI NY to Virginia and took the more scenic route by way of the Chesapeke Bay Tunnel. It is a nice ride but it seems that you go thru EVERY small town on the way. Most of the driving is on a two lane road as opposed to a highway. We thougt it took a very long time.We took 95 back and it was much quicker. Next week we are going again and plan on taking 95 instead. Who knows though, I guess it all depends on the time of day you leave and road and traffic conditions as well. Have fun on your trip.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route from VB to New Jersey

I live in Maryland (dc area) we drive 95 and it's only a 3 hour drive for me. Then to NY it takes 4 hours from there. So you "should" probably do it in 7 hours.

Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge is very beautiful only problem is like the other posts said you would be going through small towns and all the way around the state of Maryland/VA basically. Then you would be near Wilmington, DE. This may or may not take you a long way out of your way from where you live. If you aren't in any rush and you want the back road thing, go for it. Otherwise, stay on 95 North.

new jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route from VB to New Jersey

Thanks for the responses. It look likes the difference is only about 1 to 2 hours between the two routes. In that case, I would probably take the scenic tunnel back. Hopefully, this route would not take more than 8 hours driving time from VB to NNJ

I actually found another scenic route from DEL to Cape May, the ferry. However, this alternate route may really take too much and also schedule dependent. I would definitely skip this one.

4. Re: Best Route from VB to New Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach