We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or Residence Inn?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton or Residence Inn?

I am traveling to Virginia Beach this summer with my two teen daughters. I am considering the Hilton or Residence Inn. Which place is preferable? On the one hand, the Hilton club level offers complimentary breakfast and appetizers, room service, turn down service. The Residence Inn includes a separate bedroom, kitchen, two TVs, complimentary breakfast and parking. It may come down to location. I read that the Hilton location on the boardwalk is ideal. What about the location of the Residence Inn? Is it close to restaurants, shops, entertainment? I have never been to Virginia Beach. We usually go to Myrtle or Hilton Head and enjoy a Marriott time share. I would appreciate any suggestions or input.

Thanks.

Nik

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or Residence Inn?

Are you referring to the Hilton Oceanfront & the Residence Inn Oceanfront? If so, I would say they're in equally good locations (there's only the Hampton Inn between them) and they're both on the boardwalk. This will show you the distance between the two - http://goo.gl/maps/GGKta

I've never had any reason to stay in either of them, although I've been in the Hilton before. It's nice, what you'd expect of a Hilton. I've certainly been in worse Hiltons! Hilton also has the rooftop pool & bar.

TripAdvisor rates the Residence Inn higher than the Hilton (currently #4 out of 119 hotels in VB for the RI vs. #24 for the Hilton). Even without that, as a mom of a teen, I'd go for the extra space every time.

Central VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or Residence Inn?

I have to agree, the Residence would be my choice.

the Hilton I think A) Charges extra for internet (they did last time I stayed) and B) charges for parking . And I am not sure really what is the real value in turn-down service. I can move my own covers on my bed, its not really a big deal.. to tell you the truth, I want the hotel staff in my room as little as possible, but that is just a personal preference, YMMV

Not sure , the Residence Inn may have started charging for parking since I stayed last. But they have a lot more room and better for cooking leftovers from the wonderful restaurants all up and down the boardwalk.

Also note that the trolley/bus on Atlantic is free on the resort area (or at least it was last time I used it, I didn't use it this year because I went on the 4th week and Atlantic Ave was total gridlock, faster to walk)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or Residence Inn?

Thank you for your replies. We ended up staying at the Residence Inn and I'm glad we did. I was glad to have the two rooms where I could be separated from the teens for a while. Valet parking was free. Traffic on Atlantic was not bad at all. It was also nice to have the kitchenette.

we had a great time. I appreciate the good advice.

Nik

4. Re: Hilton or Residence Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 21, 2014