We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation question

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
577 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation question

Hi all.

We're 3 couples in their mid-20's going to Virginia Beach for our first time. We would like to have a house rental instead of a hotel, and we'd like it to be within a 20 minutes radius drive from the "city center". We'd like to be able to drive there during the day for the beach, restaurants and coffee shops.

Also we'd like to have a beach close to that vacation rental.

Could anyone advise on where to look for? I don't even know where to start!

Thanks!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation question

Three main areas for house rentals are Sandbridge, Croatan, and North Beach. You might want to check websites for the following rental agencies where you can get a sneak peek at the properties: Atkinson, Pyle, Hudgins, Siebert, and Sandbridge.

All three are on the beach but not in the resort area where you'll find mostly hotels, restaurants, and shops. I'm assuming this is what you mean by "city center," the touristy part of Virginia Beach. Sandbridge is the furthest away.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
577 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation question

Thanks Wendymath! That's exactly what I wanted to know! Do you have a favourite location out of the three?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation question

If you want quiet and solitude, then Sandbridge is the place. If you're thinking you'd like to go to the resort strip every night, the drive might be a drawback. It's not the distance so much as Sandbridge Rd itself between General Booth Blvd and Sandbridge -- long 2 lane twisty road. That's a small issue, and it's MY issue more than other people's, I'm sure. For a laid back get-away-from-it-all location, Sandbridge is great.

If you want to take full advantage of resort night life and free entertainment on the Boardwalk, then pick North Beach or Croatan because they're close to the resort, an easy 5 minutes or less drive. North Beach is the older part of town, but that doesn't mean rundown by any means. Homes are older, charming, refined, prestigious. Croatan is newer with BIG and modern homes.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
577 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation question

That's great. Thanks so much!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation question

Don't forget to check vrbo.com and homeaway.com for rental houses and condos in the area. Most give how far from the beach the house is located. There is a boardwalk that runs down the resort strip, and north of that is residential, but easy to bike down to where the "action" is at night.

6. Re: Accomodation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach