We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virginia vs myrtle beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
virginia vs myrtle beach?

i have been to neither, planning to take a 10 day vacation, want to go to luray cavern, and then could drive to either beach, wondering if anybody has been to both, and which one would u pick to go back and why? that is family friendly.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

Lots of responses and ideas at your finger tips.

Go to the Top Questions about VB here on your upper right. Click on Should we go to VB, OC or MB?

Then click on the question about VB or MB.

You can also type in the search bar here just the words Myrtle Beach.

Order the responses by date to get lots of recent ones.

Lots of beaches have good points depending on what you're looking for. We like the wide boardwalk in VB, very wide beach, festivals nearly weekly...and the quieter Va outer banks still in VB and called Sandbridge.

I think the main economic point in MB is tourism. Some sort of glamorous places to eat and shop and walk around. Hotel properties are very nice. The width of the beach depends on you location.

Ask us more questions as you fine tune.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Sandbridge Beach
Sandbridge Beach
1,200 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

i feel bad posting a question without reading the FAQ section. thanks for pointing it out. i should have known that.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

No need to feel bad ;) I have been to Myrtle, ( not North Myrtle which I hear is a bit nicer, but the storm sewers opening into the middle of the beach itself made for in my opinion, a not-so Grand Strand. We prefer VB, and the Sandbridge area in particular to any Atlantic beach we have visited -OCMD, Myrtle, OBX/HI, and Chincoteague/Asategue. They all have their strong points, and weak points, but VB all around is more fun in our opinion.

Mentioned in this post
North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
462 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Sandbridge Beach
Sandbridge Beach
1,200 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

No problem. Some people might think they are some sort of stock tourist board answers.

But they're not. Wendy and I and probably Bud are among the responders. They are a collection from when others ask the same question. They are topics and answers just like this.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

BudY, we need a like button for your answers:)

Are ya'll havin' fun yet? I know you are.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

linatoday, I like to post this picture especially for new people. I've been going to VB for a long time now many times a year and still love it.

Click on webcam. Then click that little icon in the picture frame lower left side. You need to do that to get the full effect. Right now I'm watching the rosey glow of the sunset, little kids skipping across the two lane bicycle path beside the landscaped 30' award winning boardwalk and heading out to the wide sand of Guinness' longest pleasure beach in the world. The boardwalk is 3 miles long with lots to do along the way.

This is a webcam set up on the shady side of a hotel. The sun sets on the front. So it's best to see during the day:

hamptoninnvirginiabeachoceanfront.com/live-b…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

having been to both, I much prefer Virginia Beach. Myrtle Beach is so spread out that it's essential to hire I car (which I prefer not to do).

As the Virginia Beach Oceanfront area is more compact, it's much more accessible. I also think that Virginia Beach is more family focused and the boardwalk is always a hive of activity.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,467 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
The Oceanfront Inn
The Oceanfront Inn
523 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

We do like that we can park and never get in the car again if we don't want to in VB. The Wave bus has routes along the main drag, Atlantic Ave, as well as to activities and shopping. But walking to the many oceanfront...or nearly so...restaurants via the boardwalk makes it go so fast we don't realize it. And lots on the boardwalk along the way....monuments, historic cottage museums, play areas for kids, stages for entertainment, fishing pier, little amusement park, etc.

Check out the Top Question about the boardwalk where Wendy and I listed some of the things one encounters walking the boardwalk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

Nice webcam! Will have to look during the day. Ty

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: virginia vs myrtle beach?

Of course we are Explorer! We're here! Found Pungo Palms for cold hardy palms and cactus and have some new specimens for the yard. Nothing like looking out in a Central PA snow storm and seeing the palms poking up through the snow LOL....