We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's best stuff to do in VB?

Minneapolis, MN
5 posts
Save Topic
what's best stuff to do in VB?

Hi all!

Now I'm checking for the best stuff to do at virginia beach the last week in July? Can we see any dolphins that late in season? We will have 2 four year olds with us also. Maybe recommend one nice restuarant for an "adults night" and safe, reliable child care service or an evening?

Thanks,

Dawn S

Minnesota

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

Hi, Dawn:

Two 4-year olds.....twice the fun!!!

I don't know the seasonal time-line of the dolphins, however, the locals who operate the store on the pier told me that the best time/place to see them is the first two hours after sunrise, right at the end of the pier. One morning I thought I saw one, but it flew away......dang seagulls anyway!!!!

You know, when we visited the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, they were just finishing up a project specifically geared toward children.....that would be easy enough for you to research. Plus there is the zoo, small but nice.

Both the husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the new Town Center: there is the Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris's Steakhouse, and Keagan's (Keegan's?) Pub. Also, a huge sporting goods store and other more upscale shopping for the adults.

www.vabeachtowncenter.com is a great website with links to everything there.

These places are only an easy 10-20 min drive from the VB boardwalk.

I cannot help with babysitting services, perhaps the hotel you choose can be of assistance with that.

Happy planning!

Jan : )

Virginia
Level Contributor
381 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

There is a Virginia Beach marine science museum about a mile from Va Beach. You would need to drive. It is a great museum. I thought I would be bored. I was not! They have an Imax theater and some great exhibits. It is a very good way to spend an afternoon if you get too much sun or a rainy day.

You can bring your kids just about anywhere or any restaurant. I do not know about babysitting. Contact your hotel.

Il Gardino is an excellent italian restaurant right on Atlantic Ave.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

Beach Street USA will be in full swing, so you can expect a lot of street entertainment. If you're in town on the 22nd, you'll catch Chalk the Walk, which is a big sidewalk art show - literally ON the sidewalk with chalk.

Restaurants: I don't usually recommend "chains" but Macaroni Grill is an exception. The food is exceptional and the service is as well. Now, for non-chains, consider Mahi Mah's (located in the Boardwalk Hotel), Cobalt Grill, Hot Tuna (good food and music too), Tautogs, or Steinhilbers (the latter if you have deep pockets).

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

Sorry, Mahi Mah's is in the Ramada, not in the Boardwalk.

virginia beach
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

You will love the beach at that time. Yes you are almost always guaranteed to see dolphins. There are cruises out of about three places at the beach. They are inexpensive as well. There is one out of the Virgina Marine Science Museum on General Booth boulevard just a short distance from the ocean front. There is one at the end of the beach i can't remember the name about 2nd street i think. there is one way down on Shore drive. They are about $10 - $13 for adults and about $8.00 for kids.

Il Giardino is a great italian restaurant on the beach (9th street and Atlantic I think), Mahi Mh's is a bit expensive but great food. The Raven great burgers and resonable. MArys on 17th street is great only open till 3 p.m. no dinner time. A mom and pop type place reasonable prices and great food. ABeys Roads is a good food place also. There are a few putt putt courses to play at the beach.

You will not have to search for entertainment ...there is all kinds of stuff on the beach at night...music...magicians, one man bands, lots and lots of fun. All free and good entertainment. It is very safe at night and very family oriented. You will see people out with kids in strollers at 11 p.m. ENJOY!!!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

I like going hiking in the bald cypress swamp at first landing state park then hanging out at the beacj there as well! its not as crowded!

I like hiking and my girl likes the sun so she got burned at the beach while I saw nature!

7. Re: what's best stuff to do in VB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach