We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

Thought this might give some hope for the future. Although, upon reflection, I hope the small towns and businesses are benefited and not damaged by it. A new 460 to begin construction next year:

RICHMOND — The commonwealth released this week a detailed financial structure to design, build and finance a new Route 460 that would stretch 55 miles from Prince George County to the city of Suffolk and includes seven interchanges to provide access to local communities along the corridor. The new road would be financed through a combination of public dollars and tolls, while the existing Route 460 remains free.

“Route 460 is on track to begin construction next year,” said Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Commissioner Greg Whirley. “VDOT continues to conduct business in a transparent manner by making publicly available the latest contract documents to select a partner and bring the project to construction. The new Route 460 will bring tremendous benefits to Virginia including safety improvements, a faster hurricane evacuation route, significant job and business opportunities as well as greatly enhanced movement for trucks coming from the Port of Virginia and better connectivity for the military.”

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

IF construction begins next year it would continue through the PLANNED completion date of 2018. And it would be a toll road. It is certainly not a done deal yet. Lots of politics involved. Lots more info available at various websites.

I have no personal interest in it one way or the other. I know this is a popular route for TA travelers, so I guess this qualifies as a travel related post. I won't be offended if my post gets removed. In an election year, I treat everything I read online with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I don't mean any offense to the OP or anyone else who provides information on this forum. I get a lot of good advice here.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

The topic itself is indeed travel related. It's one of the few ways to get to a major vacation spot. It's the only way from the direct north with the bridge tunnel situation and the two other bridges sort of NW of VB all being worked on the way it is the next few weekends. And 460 is being considered more favorably lately even before the bridge tunnel stuff...even though it can be a slow go. People looking for an alternative because of traffic, because of their approach at the moment, and because of fears of bridges and tunnels.

Yes, there may be a few people who believe what govt says about start dates and, yes, there may be a few people who believe roads are completed in shorter than many years....so thanks.

But perhaps a bit more hope for those who want to go more quickly now that VDOT made this announcement. And I daresay the toll for going much faster won't be a factor. And there will still be the "old 460" if that's the case.

However, bypass drivers generally get off at an interchange because they need to do business at that precise interchange...to eat, etc. And sadly might not be poking around too much in between interchanges. So there will probably be a behind the scenes story in the communities being bypassed.

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

Rather the money go to actually fixing the Hampton Roads traffic situation.

460 is fine as is. How about widening 64 between Jefferson Blvd and the Richmond Beltway?

4. Re: Virginia to create a NEW 460 from 95ish to Suffolk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach