We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer with questions.........

New York
Level Contributor
987 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First timer with questions.........

We vacation every year in Assateague Island outside of Ocean City, MD, but wanted to try somewhere new. We've decided on Virginia Beach & have already booked our site at First Landing State Park.

After reading numerous posts, I'm excited to check out the area. However, I haven't seen much info in the way of Early Bird Specials, Happy Hours, etc.

Anyway, our family of 4 (2A & 2T) tries to keep our 1 meal out per day at $50 or less. Don't laugh.........we succeed every year in OC by using the Entertainment Book, Restaurant.com, Lunch Specials, Early Bird's and Happy Hour's.

I'm starting my research early, but I'd love to hear all your money-saving advice. Thanks so much in advance!! We love this site :)

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,460 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
First Landing State Park
First Landing State Park
918 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer with questions.........

You might try playing around with this website. Try several links to places to eat and happy hours. http://vbnightlife.com/

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer with questions.........

You can download a free copy of the Sunnyday guide to look for coupons, The books are available in VB on about every street corner. http://sunnydayguide.com/virginia_beach/

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer with questions.........

Keep in mind, too, that it is illegal in VA to advertise happy hours outside of the establishment, so that sort of info might be a bit hard to find.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer with questions.........

In Virginia ABC laws prevent the advertisement of alcohol outside of the establishment. They can't even tell you over the phone...

As far as food specials, you could get away with eating lunch for under $50 easily. At dinner you would have to use coupons or only order sandwiches and specials. The average entree in Va Beach ranges from $12-$30+ depending on where you go. Most sandwiches, including fish and crabcakes will be under $11...

Depending on the location, beers are around $2.50-$3.50 for domestics and $4-$6 for imports. Liquor drinks are usually $4 and up...

It just depends where you go...

Mentioned in this post
New York
Level Contributor
987 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer with questions.........

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check out the websites mentioned.

I had actually heard that it was illegal for Virginia bars to advertise Happy Hour specials, so I thought this forum would be a great way to obtain that info.............

Mentioned in this post
Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer with questions.........

LOL, cool, guess that makes us the party forum!! I personally can't help too much with happy hours since our definition of happy hour starts whenever we head to the deck on our rental. The only bars we frequent are Boneshakers, and I never paid attention there if they even had any happy hour special, and Sandbridge Island Pizza. The Island usually has a beer bucket special around dinner time, and also has a great AYCE crab and shrimp special for like $26.00 per person.

Mentioned in this post
Sandbridge Beach
Sandbridge Beach
1,199 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
New York
Level Contributor
987 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer with questions.........

Thanks! In case anyone else is looking, the link that WendyMath provided has everything you'd want to know. Thanks for that great piece of info, WendyMath!!

Bretton Woods, New...
Level Contributor
137 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer with questions.........

Watermans has good drink and food Happy Hour specials that begin at 4, maybe even 3, until 6, I believe.

9. Re: First timer with questions.........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 16, 2013