We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores

I am coming to Virgina Beach at the end of August for five days. We are staying at the Breakers Resort Inn. I was wondering if their are any grocery stores close. I don't plan on renting a car we are going to use the trolley when we are there. I just wanted to get some groceries for the hotel room.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores

That's a great location. Directly across the street from your hotel is the entrance to the Amusement Park. AND right beside the hotel is the smaller, retro version alongside the boardwalk.

You will also have the small Atlantic Food Mart right across the street from your hotel on Atlantic. Haven't been there but there are many small stores for quick food shopping along Atlantic.

There is a Sunsations at the south of 15th and Atlantic for any last minute beach items, including chairs and umbrellas, at good prices.

Pizza and Pasta restaurant is beside that.

There's a retro Dairy Queen at 17th along the boardwalk...pricier vacation prices.

Log Cabin Pancake House is between 16th and 17th.

As far as grocery shopping by bus...

Here is a map of The Wave routes in case you haven't seen it yet:

www.gohrt.com/maps/wave-maps/vb-wave-map.pdf

You will see the key at the bottom shows where you can get your fare cards...the Sunsations for one.

Going a bit further afield to grocery shop is a bit more difficult but can be done with patience, preplanning and asking when you get on the bus.

The purple "Shoppers Shuttle" will take you along Atlantic, Pacific and left on Laskin. There is a Farm Fresh at Laskin (31st St) and Arctic, just a few blocks west of the beach.

The Harris Teeter is a large store at 28th and Arctic. The Shoppers Shuttle and the Atlantic Ave Shuttle drop people along Pacific at that point although I'm not sure which cross street exactly. Then when you return I believe you'd have to walk the extra block to Atlantic to pick up the bus going south back to your hotel.

But I'm wondering how you are getting to VB? If you are driving you can take all the non perishables and a can opener and any bowls and plates and utensils (we always bring some of our own just in case). Cereals, snacks, canned soups, vegetables, beans, etc.

I don't like buying perishables until we have actually checked in. We've never had a problem but...again, just in case. Make sure the fridge is working and cold. Make sure the microwave is in good shape. Then head out for any groceries.

With a car, you could also do Walmart if you like.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores

Explorer thanks for the advice. We are flying. I read you really dont need a car so I am not going to get one. I have no problem riding public tran to get groceries.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores

Right. You don't need a car once you get here. While we drive to the beach we very very often park and don't take the car back out the whole time. In fact, we enjoy walking so much we don't even need the Wave most times:)

For my own info, a lot of people ask about alternatives for getting from the airport to the beach. What are you doing?

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores

I was kind of curious on that one too explorer.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores

Explorer, we are going to either take a taxi from Norfolk airport or a shuttle I read about a shuttle that you can share with other passengers I cant think of the name of it.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores

While I'm thining of it let me give you that link to Sunny Day Guide online and the Sunsations coupon. Go back to just the sunnydayguide url and you'll find lots more:

sunnydayguide.com/virginia_beach/…

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores

About the shuttle and taxi. One person told me the shuttle rate was per person and someone else told me the same rate was for two people. That was pretty similar to the taxi rate.

The thing is is it really per person or per couple? What have they told you?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores

Explorer I think I read for the shuttle they charge a flat rate for the first person then $5 for additional. I have to go on the website again. If it ends up being the same as the taxi I will just take the taxi. I read it is about 20 mintues from Norfolk to VB. About $50.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
351 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores

Coming from Pittsburgh I would just drive rather than deal with airports ;) Pretty easy to get around the DC and I-64 traffic. I've done it in 7 hours from Altoona, so should be about 8.5 from Pitt, and it's nice to have wheels to see the whole area.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Stores

Bud, I was going to but I got a good deal on airfare. I dont want to be bothered with driving. I dont have to have a car in VB as I heard it isnt like myrtle where you have to have a car. Airports are fine to me.