We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noise

New England
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Noise

HI,

We stayed in Va Beach several years ago and found it to be a very family friendly place. The only difficulty we had were the jets from the Naval Air Base frequently flying over head. It really bothered my daughter. I was just looking at the Sunspree and it looks like a great place to stay with 2 children, especially one approaching teens. My biggest question is do the planes still fly over?

Thanks for your help!!

Mentioned in this post
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noise

I know they flew over a lot more after 9/11, if that's when you were there last. They do stop at a certain point but I can understand your daughter being scared by the very loud noise. It didn't seem they were such an issue this past summer. Also your daughter might not be so upset now that she's a bit older.

Silver Creek, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noise

Hi Zeldie,

I very recently e-mailed the Public Affairs Officer at Oceana and received a prompt and courteous response to my questions.

troy.snead@navy.mil

My question, however, was the reverse of yours.....we wanted to see the afterburners on take-off! Officer Snead said that because of noise considerations for the local community afterburners are not used. He did not say, but now I am wondering if this was past practice.

He also said that flight schedules change daily because this is the East Coast training base. We are, in fact, going to Observation Park to watch the jets take off and land.

If you are visiting after June perhaps the NAS Oceana Aviation Historical Park is someplace your family would like to visit. Their tours leave from the oceanfront @ 24th.

americasaviationadventure.com/nasoceana.htm

NIghtlife?? Well, I know it's out there, but the the only thing I see at night are the insides of my eyelids! Someone else will have to help with that.....happy vacationing

Jan : )

New England
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noise

Thank you both for your help. I think we were there about 4 or 5 years ago. Except for the jet noise, I know the kids really liked it there. At the time there was a beach volleball tournament and we could walk on the beach late at night without a problem. As we live in New England it is also a place we can drive.

We look into the NAS Oceana Park. Any other suggestions for both adults and kids?

Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noise

Check on the little search box on top of these posts...type in Virginia Beach and get more info from others' posts. There are stages up and down the boardwalk, there's street performers in a certain long strip (Beachsteet USA), there are sports and music events particularly on the lower end of the beach and festivals during the summer.

Check out vbfun.com

There are movies with stadium seating, the newer Town Center, lots of good restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,460 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
United States
United States
North America