We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton

With the mixed reviews of the new Hilton on Virginia Beach I am desparate to find out what it's really like. We are visiting during the first week of May, whats the location like, noisy, quiet, close to restaurants etc. Has anyone stayed there that can give me a true review please, what are the rooms like? whats the service like? can you park ok? I want to be sure that I am booking the right hotel. Please don't give me alternatives, I have already decided that if it's not the Hilton it will be the Courtyard.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton

As a local, I never need to stay in the motels at the beach, but I can say it's a beautiful building in a wonderful location. The shops around it look great. Virginia Beach has worked hard to replace the honky-tonk ticky-tack innertube and tanning lotion resort look of the 70s, with upscale boutiques and restaurants. There is a parking deck, so parking will not be a problem.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton

We had a great time. We thought it was wonderful and beautiful and food delicious. I glanced at some of the reviews to see what you were referring to...one said the decor in the room was not upscale, something like that. It is actually the new clean sleek lines of the spa look combined with the Arts and Crafts Movement in the US. At any rate...the room decor is very nice.

I don't know that the Club Level offers all that much more unless you just like it. We had the opposite experience some of the reviewers had...we noticed a small problem in our room on one of the regular floors and it was quickly determined that it could not be fixed immediately so in the interest of time we were moved...to a Club Level room!

Of course, the higher up you go...since it's not so high you see only air when you look out...the wider the view of beach and town and homes.

Yes, the front desk people were busy with something or other...not checking people in nor willing to answer their questions...but that is true of many front desk people I'm afraid. They don't see themselves as the first in-person contact with the hotel and the last contact with the hotel to wish the guest a good trip home and please come back. So, knowing this, we look beyond it.

The decor is wonderful. I'm into lighting...techniques, styles, colors...and enjoyed the lighting in the lobby, rooms, halls and more colorful lighting in the restaurant area.

I loved the color and design of the bedding and hall carpet on the Club Level.

At the restaurant we found the appetizers large and ate just one of those each each night for dinner there.

You might consider a room on the south side so you can sit on your balcony and get some sun if it's not warm enough for the beach....or if you feel like sunning in pjs with coffee and paper before going back to bed:) What a luxury if you can do it.

Nearby there is a Harris Teeter grocery store which we like. We used to have one in our area and it closed so it was nice to see it again and buy some of the special items there. The stores are probably coming along better than ever now as the shops across the street get built up. I noticed some small places to eat like sub shops and pizza nearby.

We go inland a bit for the stadium seating movie theaters, a restaurant with Cuban-American cuisine, the new Town Center with Keegan's genuine Irish Pub - brought over from Ireland with men to assemble it here, a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Cheesecake Factory and Barnes and Noble bookstore nearby for books on the area.

The Hilton's rooftop infinity pool is fabulous, wrapped in a plexiglass low wall against the wind. It is smallish as is the bar area up there. It is not a pool for the beach-going families, countless children with 3 pool toys per child, playful bellowing and endless Marco....Polo....Marco. Rather, it reminds of something I happened to catch on tv last night.... The S*x and the City episode where the women are quietly sunning and gossiping by an exculsive rooftop pool.

That's the outside one. The inside one is great for swimming but seems to have a small deck for crowds. So I'd think the best water to be in would be the ocean. But in early May you might think it's too cold for that.

One problem I see with the hotel is the dripping, sandy families with all their sandy accoutrements making their way from the beach to the rooms via elevators in the nice lobby. But apparantly the hotel doesn't mind since that's the way it's planned.

Have you looked to see if there are any events in the park next door when you're there? I don't know when the boardwalk performances and Beachstreet USA begin but perhaps there are things going on at least on weekends until the summer gets in full swing.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton

I stayed at the Hilton right before Christmas and loved my time there. The hotel was pretty empty that week, but I can understand how if they were full on a holiday weekend things might be a bit different.

I stayed on the top floor as well in a corner room. Their Presidental Suite occupies the oceanfront side on that floor, but there is still plenty to see). I did not have a balcony but had a view looking north where I could see the ocean, beach as well as all the way to the tip of the eastern shore across the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. My other view was back over Virginia Beach with downtown Norfolk in the distance.

The room was nicely decorated in muted greens and beiges with dark wood furniture. reminded me of Pottery Barn. The lines are clean and unadorned -- very contemporary. If you are looking for faux colonial, this is NOT the place for you. My bath was also nice, but had only a large glass enclosed shower not a tub -- which is fine with me. The bed was very comfy.

Downstairs, the bar is large and the staff was friendly. I ate two meals in the restaurant and I have to say the dinner service was much better than that at lunch. Could just have been the luck of the draw on servers. Everything I had to eat was very well prepared and presented.

Being right before Christmas and very cold and windy I did not venture upstairs to the rooftop pool.

You asked about parking. There is a large deck directly across the street that is attached via a second floor bridge to the hotel. They also had valet. Either way, there is a charge for parking.

There are stores and other restuarants with in walking distance of the hotel. It is not isolated at all.

It was a very fun place for an adult. My guess is that it is not very child friendly. The menu is very grown up and the rooms aren't equipped with things like microwaves and fridges that families frequently require. If you need things like a childrens menu you might want to call and inquire in advance. I didn't see any non adults during my stay there.