We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach after Labor Day

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia Beach after Labor Day

My husband and I are planning on travelling to Virginia Beach the weekend after Labor Day to visit family who live near the area. We are planning to stay on the beach (since the beach is a rarity for us) and can't decide how many days to stay.

Does all of the "tourist activity" close directly after Labor Day weekend? Or can we expect to have many of the Boardwalk shops and other activities still available to us.

Thanks for your help.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

Yes, shops are still open. There are still events going on. Check the calendar at www.beachstreetusa.com and at www.vbfun.com (click on Events -- you'll get a calendar). It's a great time to be at the beach. Lucky you.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

September is actually the best time to come in my opinion. Everything is still open, the lifeguards are still on duty, the water is still warm, and it's just a little less hot that it was in late July and August (which is a big WOO HOO for me...hehe).

I understand the weekend you speak of we're having the Blues Festival down at the oceanfront. Tho how someone could sing the blues when looking at that ocean, I have no idea...har har har.

In fact, Sept is so great we have our biggest end of the summer local blowout at the end of it (this year the weekend of the 24th I believe) called The Neptune Festival with sand castle contests, concerts, a HUGE art show right on the boardwalk, and more activities than I could name! It's a blast! After that is over, things start to wind down for the fall/winter, but even then it's not like things get boarded up, because after all, 450,000 people live here year round.

I love to travel the week after Labor Day anyway, because there are so few kids anywhere you go cause they've just started school in the last couple weeks!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

Thanks for replying so quickly!!! It sounds so good, that we will plan for an extra day.

Thanks again.

Va Bch
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

Everything is still open and there is still plenty of activity happening. What dates and you coming, and what might you be interested in doing?

5. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, January 29, 2013
Lancaster
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

I have been to VB in Sept for the last 3 years shortly after Labor day. We have found many things to do, enjoy the blues festival a lot! Most of the shops and museums, parks are open, though dissappointed to miss the outdoor drama First Landing which closes before Labor Day. You should be aware that many many stores and restaurants are Jewish owned and will be closed on the Rosh Hoshana which occurs September 8, 2010 - nightfall September 10, 2010. I was not aware of that last year and missed out on my last day of shopping . Ended up shopping at a local mall -LynnHaven Mall Also during the italian festival which is sept 17-18 a pretty large section of the boardwalk is crowded with food vendors, muscians, artists, very nice except for tryiing to ride your bike on the bike path which becomes pretty much unpassable. At the south end of the beach about 7th street there is a huge pipe that sits on the beach and drains ???? sandy water onto the beach near the water line. South of the pipe the area is reserved for surfers and fishersfolk so if you stay at any hotels from about 7th street to Rudee's inlet you'll have to walk a bit to avoid the area if you want to swim. Still we love the beach and are returning again the week after Labor Day.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

drains, pours, spouts, whatever...yes, millions upon millions are indeed spent on keeping the waterways and ocean in good shape and keeping residents and tourists who come for the water activities happy.

That pipe is actually quite popular with children and adults, who enjoy the process of dredging from one location to replenish sand in another. In this case, dauby1girl is talking about the multimillion dredging of Rudee Inlet to take out the sand naturally washed in there, making room for Navy, commercial fishing and general visitor boating adventures, and sending the sand out around 7th or so.

I've lost track of the schedule. Sometimes pipes are at that location, sometimes not. Depends on whether it's the year and months for dredging.

8. Re: Virginia Beach after Labor Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 23, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach