We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Virgina Beach to Charleston SC

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Travel Virgina Beach to Charleston SC

We are an Australian family driving from Virginia Beach to Charleston - planning to leave 20 December and drive about 7 hours, then on to Charleston the next morning. We would appreciate advice on most scenic route and ideas of where to stay about 7 hours into the trip. Is there usually extra traffic on the road this close to Christmas.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Virgina Beach to Charleston SC

I think you'll make it from VA Beach to Charleston in about 7 hours -- no need to stop en route if you want to drive 7 hrs. We've driven that route in winter, summer, holiday, regular day, daytime, night, and the drive is never really bad. From VB, take I-64 to 58 to Emporia (watch out -- speed trap!) and pick up I-95 South. Then pick up I-26 into Charleston. Good places to stop for food are Rocky Mount or Fayetteville in North Carolina, and Florence in South Carolina. I can't think of anything particularly scenic (except maybe the lakes in SC at Santee), but I'll post again if anything comes to mind.

Now, if you want a SLOW drive, you could get off I-95 around Smithfield, NC, and follow Route 70 to New Bern, and then follow Route 17 along NC's beaches through Wilmington (a great town!! - worth a visit if it's on your way), and then stay on 17 through Myrtle Beach, SC on into Charleston.