We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closest beach to Norfolk Airport

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
closest beach to Norfolk Airport

My family is coming in at the end of the month and on Aug 1st I want to watch the sunrise yet our flight leaves at 7 am. Could someone please advise where the best beach is to watch the sun rise and still make it back in time.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

On Aug 1, sunrise is 6:09. You need to be at the airport at that time for a 7:00 flight. I think you'll miss the beautiful sunrise except for whatever you can catch through the windows of the terminal.

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

Is there a beach that is fairly close as I can take a little bit later flight due to the fact that I work for the airlines, if there is a beach close enough to go watch the sunrise. Here is our goal. My hisband and I want to watch the sun rise in Virginia and then we are flying on to Los Angeles, California and watching the same sun set, so if there is a beach fairly close to watch I can change my travel to fit this awesome adventure. can you guide me to a nice beach that is not way out from the airport.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

OK - then in that case, you can go to Ocean View. Come out of the airport on Norview Ave, turn right onto Azalea Garden Rd, right onto E. Little Creek Rd, and then left onto Shore Drive which curves around and becomes E. Ocean View Ave. I'm not sure where you can park and walk out onto the beach, but this ride is about 10-13 minutes or so. Or you could go all the way to Ocean View Park at 719 E. Ocean View Ave.

Another option is the Chesapeake Bay, aka "Chick's Beach" near the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Go out of the airport, turn right at Azalea Garden Rd, right on E. Little Creek Rd, right at Shore Dr, left onto Pleasure House Rd, then right onto Lookout Rd - by this time you just need to look around for where you can park. This will be closer to 20 minutes drive time.

Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

Oh my gosh you are wonderful. Thank you in making one of my dreams come true.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

If I had a dime for every time I heard that . . . .

6. Re: closest beach to Norfolk Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 11, 2010