We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roanoke

ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Roanoke

We have been researching the Roanoke area due to a possible job transfer. It looks great in print but what do you locals have to add? We've found we always get the best advice and most honest opinions from actual residents.

Besides Roanoke itself, which surrounding cities offer good schools, ammenities, parks, recreation, arts and culture? Also what areas would you suggest staying away from and why?

What about Smith Lake? Is it really as nice as the website claims? Is it clean? What is in the surrounding areas? Are there any other nice waterways, lakes within an hour of Roanoke?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roanoke

I'm not sure why you posted in the Virginia Beach forum, but you should probably post this in the Roanoke forum. At any rate, someone else inquired several weeks ago about Roanoke. So try the search box. In a nutshell, Roanoke offers the amenities of a CITY while being surrounded by lush rural areas, lakes, mountains, and fresh air. I don't live there, but I visit often. However, I don't know enough to comment on schools or areas to avoid. I've never met anyone who didn't love it there though.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,461 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Roanoke

Thanks :) I dont know why I did either... LOL I wasn't paying attention I guess. I will repost.

Daytona Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roanoke

Roanoke is a great area. The cost of living isnt too bad, there is TONS of work and the county schools are ranked as some of the best in the country. in my sons class there are 15 kids and they share 2 teachers in the classroom.

I live in the county and drive about 10 minutes to work. The area is definetly growing everyday there is a new business going up. As far as the scenery goes its absolutly beautiful down here.

Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia