We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend at First Landing trip report

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend at First Landing trip report

I just loved this campground. Beautiful, secluded, gorgeous. Lovely walk across the dunes to the very private beach.

We left Washington DC around 4:30 am. It took us 3 hours to get to Newport News, and another hour until we pulled into the campground. So leaving very early paid off! The traffic on the Beltway was very light, and the traffic around the Hampton Roads tunnel was heavy, but moved quickly and steadily enough.

We enjoyed walking the Chesapeake Bay beach at the campground, and I found some sea glass to give to my daughter--she will use them in jewelry-making. Since the campground beach isn't cleaned, it's easy to find interesting items here. We found several pieces of sea glass, and lots of interesting rocks and shells.

My daughter found a tiny hermit crab, and we were lucky enough to enjoy seeing a pod of dolphins playing in the bay for a long time.

So the campground at First Landing is wonderful. We also enjoyed the Atlantic, and I highly recommend visiting the northern end of the beach, where all the houses are, because it's quieter and less crowded. We parked around block 53, and had no problem finding a place on the street.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend at First Landing trip report

Thanks for your report. How fun that you found beach glass. I've never actually found beach glass at the beach - only in gift shops! I'm glad to know there is still hope.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend at First Landing trip report

Finding sea glass at the First Landing Beach is a lot easier than at the Atlantic Ocean beach, I think. Since the beach isn't cleaned, you have a much better chance! Oh, sure, there's all kinds of nasty gunk washed up on the shore too, but you have to train your eye to look for the "jewels".

Funny how finding a tiny piece of broken glass got us all excited!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend at First Landing trip report

Nice report, glad you had a fun trip. Hope you had a chance to enjoy the many hiking trails in the State Park, if not, come back again soon! Happy trails.

4. Re: Weekend at First Landing trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 02, 2009