We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

Hi, this will be my first trip to VA Beach and was wondering if the boardwalk has an amusemnent park ? Also, do tsome of the rides cater to smaller children, I am travelling with my husband and two children, ages 3 and 5. Also, is it worth it to stay at the beachfront ? Thanks so much for any replies.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

No amusement park on the boardwalk itself, but there are amusements around the area. OceanBreeze Waterpark is the big one and caters to all ages. You can take the trolley (called The Wave -- see www.vbwave.com and click on the map to see the route). Along the boardwalk are some grassy play areas, some with tunnels and climbing things that little ones will enjoy too. Beachfront hotels are more expensive than those a block back, so if you stay on Pacific rather than Atlantic you'll save money but have 2 roads to cross. But not to worry -- there are stop lights and crosswalks for your safety. Check www.vbhma.com for a list of hotels.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

There are a few rides right next to the boardwalk, but it's definitely not anything to get excited about. If are looking for some fun amusement parks check out (in order from closest to VA Beach to farthest away):

Ocean Breeze (this is a water park- it's not very big, but if you go after 4, you get in for half price and it's definitely fun. They have a big wave pool, quite a few water slides and a kiddie area. www.oceanbreezewaterpark.com/

Motor World is right next to Ocean Breeze. They have the best miniature golf courses (2) in the area and go karts. http://www.vbmotorworld.com/

Great Wolf Lodge is a brand new hotel with an indoor waterpark. It's in Williamsburg. I've never been here, but it is probably fun. http://williamsburg.greatwolflodge.com/

Busch Gardens is the biggest amusement park that's relatively close to the beach. buschgardens.com/buschgardens/va/default.aspx

Water Country USA is very close to Busch Gardens and of course, is a very large waterpark. www.watercountryusa.com/water_country/va/

King's Dominion is a little north of Richmond and is another large amusement park. http://www.kingsdominion.com

Motor World and Ocean Breeze are in Virginia Beach. Great Wolf Lodge, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are in Williamsburg, about an hour from Virginia Beach. King's Dominion is at least 1.5 hours from Virginia Beach.

About staying oceanfront, I personally prefer it. I love waking up with the ocean right outside my door and I love the balconies. I think it's a personal preference that only you can decide.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Motor World
Motor World
205 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
jdc
Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

It sounds like a lot is happening around the boardwalk on Memorial Day weekend, and we have kids 4 and 6. I've read all about all the other water parks and museums available.

Where are the little, local play-parks around the beach located?

We are staying at the Sea Gull on the Beach (27th and Atlantic) and haven't found any bad reviews about it yet (No news is good news?) so we're hoping for a fun, family time. Anybody have any info for me on that hotel?

Are there any restaurant coupons available on-line or a place to find out about early-bird specials? I figure an early dinner and a stroll with ice-cream later to wrap up the days.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

jdc, I answered your main question on your separate post. As for the play areas, I can't give exact locations because I'm past the play area stage of my life and have no need to remember them. However, when I was at the beach for Polar Plunge, I remember seeing one tucked BETWEEN hotels probably around 9th St, but that might not be accurate -- I just recall parking at the 9th St garage that day and seeing the play area. I think there might be similar play areas around the statue of the Norwegian Lady (24th St??) and near the Old Coast Guard Station Museum (25th??). I hope maybe vabeachgirl or some other true local will step up and answer this for you with more accuracy than I'm offering.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
519 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

I believe there is like a little carnival type thing with a ferris wheel, Log rides, kids rides(spinning monkeys, caterpillar rollercosater) and like 3 or 4 more rides like the scrambler. There is also a new ride that costs $20 per person and it goes really fast. Only 4 people at a time though. I think the carnival park is off of 17th street. Check it out if you go to VB.

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions. It certainly helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

Hi, just returned yesterday from Virginia Beach... there is a small carnival right on the beach, located on Atlantic at the Pier. It has about 5-6 kiddie rides (perfect for my two 6 year old traveling companions). It also has a kiddy fishing thing ... where they are guaranteed to win a prize (a large inflatable object , kids choice). They enjoyed it very much. I did as well, since everything was close together and I didn't have to walk a mile lol.

Virginia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Amusement park on the boardwalk ?

I just took my kids to this last night. The tickets cost about $1 each. I think you get a slight discount if you buy more. The ride that my kids rode was 3 tickets. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I had a time getting my 4 year old to leave though.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach