We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabins on a lake

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dumont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cabins on a lake

Would like to visit Roanoke and would like to stay either in a campground cabin with a bathroom or some other kind of cottage on a lake. Only 2 people traveling though, can anyone advise? Thank you.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cabins on a lake

There isn't a lake exactly in Roanoke. Around here, most folks head to Smith Mountain Lake for fun in the sun. Check out vrbo dot com for info on rental properties there. You may find mostly condos for rent on SML. Camping cabins are available at Douthat State Park, which is about an hour north of Roanoke. The park has a 50 acre lake surrounded by mountains. Hope this gives you a starting point to search.

Dumont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabins on a lake

thank you! i'm from north jersey, looking to move, not sure where yet, but roanoke looks pretty cool....would like to take a road trip late august to check it out...any recommendations for "must do"? thanks again...deb

Dumont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabins on a lake

how far is smith mountain from roanoke? thanks

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabins on a lake

Come on down and take a look. Roanoke is a great little city. It's small enough to be homey but large enough to boast a lot of nice amenities, such as super health care facilities, theaters, and museums. If you love the outdoors, there are plenty of hiking trails just outside the city. Smith Mountain Lake is about 40 minutes away.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabins on a lake

Oh, "must do's"...go up to the Mill Mountain Star just before sunset and take in the beautiful view of the city. Visit Center in the Square and the Taubman Art Museum. Take a hike up to Dragon's Tooth. Get a bowl of chili from the Texas Tavern followed by a cold drink at Macadoo's. If you've saved room for dessert, get a cupcake from Bubblecakes.

Hope you have a great visit!

Dumont, New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabins on a lake

thanks soooooo much for all your help! however, i am going to bug you further if you don't mind....i am essentially looking to relocate from north jersey and just scouting out places, i'm looking at staying at smith lake, HOWEVER, i wouldn't mind staying in roanoke either, but my primary concern about NOT staying in a hotel is, i don't like to eat all meals out, that's why i liked the idea of the cabin on the lake....could you recommend staying inside the city, maybe in an apartment or something else? should i contact the chamber of commerce? what is your opinion? thanks again!!!! deb

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cabins on a lake

There's a Marriott Residence Inn over near the airport that might be what you're looking for when you are staying in Roanoke.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cabins on a lake

Hi Deb. I agree with 22Tango. A friend of mine used Marriot Residence Inn for family coming in 2 weeks prior to her wedding. It was nice, clean and comfortable. We also have an Extended Stay America in Roanoke but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are used to being surrounded by contractors and construction guys. I was the only lady there and it was just uncomfortable with the guys hanging out in front of their rooms drinking. I'm no prude but it was just awkward. I briefly stayed there following a house fire but thankfully, we got a furnished apartment at Pebble Creek within just a few days of the fire. I'm not sure how long you intend to stay but Pepple Creek does advertise under extended stay/vacation rental listing at visitroanokeva dot com. There were some other options there that may interest you.

Also, I have to eat a little crow. Technically, Roanoke has two lakes. Carvins Cove is the water authority's reservoir lake and there's Loch Haven Lake, a small lake at a country club. No cabins at either, though.

Feel free to keep the questions coming. I'm happy to help if I can!

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
85 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cabins on a lake

I'm not sure if you have already booked a cabin but I suggest you look at VRBO for Roanoke. I just quickly searched and saw an apartment in downtown Roanoke. It appears to be on Elm which is barely outside the main downtown walking streets. It would be a great way to get a feel for Roanoke especially if you are considering relocation.

Another suggestion is a lake front cabin on Claytor Lake. It is a little farther than Smith Mountain Lake but much more natural with less boat traffic. There is a state park with cabins on a peninsula jutting out into the lake. They are modest but the location is wonderful. And finally, my favorite lodging in Roanoke is the grand old dame. . . Hotel Roanoke. It is comfortable, has old world elegance but isn't stuffy. I think it has a great sense of place and can't recommend it enough.

To me a great option would be a few days in the city and then a few days in nature.

Good luck.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cabins on a lake

I am a local REALTOR and live in the downtown area. I would be glad to talk with you about your options when visiting our beautiful area. scenic, cosmo, great restaurants, etc. a fabulous place to visit and LIVE