We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

Which Roanoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Topic
question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

How far is downtown from I-81 and would you recommend staying downtown or near the mall. I am looking at Sheraton or Hotel Roanoke. Im just not sure if its downtown i really want to be sure or away from the congestion. Is the town easily walkable if we stay at Hotel Roanoke as far as shopping and going to restaurants with kids ages 7 & 9. Is it worth going downtown for just one night which is all we have as we will be going somewhere else the next day.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

Downtown Roanoke is 5 miles off of I-81. It is very easy to reach via I-581. Although I love Hotel Roanoke and the downtown area, considering your schedule and the children I think staying near the mall area might be a better option. There is a lot of construction going on in the Center in the Square right now so I'm not sure you'd get the full experience of downtown...hopefully a true Roanoker will respond also (I'm in neighboring Salem). That being said, my vote is for the Sheraton. If you'd like to stay at a nice hotel within walking distance of the mall and restaurants, I recommend Hyatt Place Roanoke Airport/Valley View Mall.

Safe travels!

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

i would stay downtown, but i prefer non-chain restaurants and shops and feel as tho downtown offers more local flavor. the hotel roanoke is easily walkable to other areas downtown since roanoke's downtown area really isn't that large. i guess it depends on what you're hoping to get out of your stay, but i'd definitely prefer downtown to the mall area.

ny
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

thanks quspork!

SalemVaSnork, thanks for your input maybe just too much for our one night stay so maybe being near the mall would be a better option for us. Is Hyatt closer to the mall than the Best Western and is it walking distance?

Edited: 6:20 pm, July 21, 2011
ny
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

I booked at the Hyatt, I didnt realize they had such nice rooms until i looked on the website last night and walkable to the mall.

Salem, VA
Level Contributor
324 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

I'm glad things worked out for you. I hope that you'll be able to make a return trip sometime in the future to visit the downtown area. It really is a great place to visit. Oh, you've probably noticed by now that Hyatt, Best Western, Mainstay and Comfort Inn are all clustered near the mall road entrance. Hyatt sits back a bit from the main road but they've got a sign that indicates where to turn - you won't miss it. Have a great trip!

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

thanks very much! one more question is it walkable or would i have to drive my car a little to get there from the Hyatt?

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

The Hyatt is walking distance to the mall but watch out for traffic. It's a typcial suburban mall type area so not a lot of sidewalks and a busy road to cross to get to the mall. There are several restaurants on the road with the Hyatt, though. I'm one of those people who will walk anywhere I can but I'd actually probably drive in the Valley View area for safety reasons. You don't see a lot of pedestrians in that area and I don't think the drivers are used to watching for them.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

Thanks for the info. I too do alot of walking so it shouldnt be a problem i will just have to be on the look out.

9. Re: question on downtown roanoke hotel or Sheraton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, June 18, 2013