We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in over Christmas?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Can anyone recommend the best area in Pacific Grove to stay in this Christmas, travelling by public transport? We are looking at staying in the area for 3 nights, including Christmas Eve (which is also my bf’s birthday) and Christmas Day.

We are both in our 30’s; we would like to see the butterflies, do some nice walks, and relax. We don’t have a massive budget, but it is his birthday…

Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

I just replied in your other thread.

I'd recommend Pacific Grove. Without hesitation. And if you're interested I can suggest a really nice, cheap hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Yes please!

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Take a look at Gosby House Inn.http://www.gosbyhouseinn.com/ It's located on Pacific Grove's main street, Lighthouse Ave., and is an easy walk to restaurants, coffee shops, bakery, and other shops. It's about two blocks from the water. It's just under a mile to the butterfly sanctuary, so it's walkable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Thanks PGd, Gosby house looks great.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

We have stayed at The Old St. Angela Inn a number of times and enjoyed it!

http://www.oldstangelainn.com/

They dress it up very well for Christmas!

www.oldstangelainn.com/event%20page.htm

David

Edited: 9:25 pm, November 09, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Hey. Sorry. I went to bed right after posting.

My recommendation is the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites. It's also on Lighthouse Avenue but a bit more out towards the lighthouse so more sleepy and secluded. It's a really pretty location. And the place is so small it's the difference of being at Oxford Circus or Bond Street.

It's a cheap, basic but comfortable hotel that serves a decent free breakfast and early-evening barbecue. Although whether the barbecue happens in winter I don't know.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for and, of course, you can pay a lot more money to stay somewhere a lot classier. But I find the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites absolutely perfect.

Level Contributor
35,414 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

I've heard great things about Old St Angela Inn! If you want a very budget-friendly hotel, Borg's is a good one and is right across the street from the ocean. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Since you won't have a car, I'd advise you stay closer to downtown. Lighthouse Lodge is a bit of a trek. Gosby, Old St. Angela's, Centrella inn are all close to town. Borg's is very basic, but the views are amazing; you'd also be only several blocks from town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

Perhaps you would answer my question, PGdenizen. Is the area those hotels are in as nice as where the Lighthouse Lodge is?

I'm just interested. For myself. I'm happy the OP probably won't end up at the LL because of not having a car.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay in over Christmas?

LDN, the two areas are very different. Lighthouse Lodge is in the Asilomar area--lots of pines and probably deer running around. It's, as you know, about a 10-minute walk to the ocean. Some people are bothered by the fact that the rooms that are on the north side of Lighthouse Ave (where the pool is) overlook the cemetery. Personally, it doesn't bother me because the grounds are well-kept, and there are only plaque markers in the ground, no huge headstones, and there are often deer grazing. Some people are superstitious, though, and feel very uneasy.

The other area is in or near downtown. This is a quiet little town, and even the heart of downtown is pretty quiet and quaint. All three B&B's mentioned are an easy walk to amenities, as well as to the water and the recreation trail, where you can walk or bike along the water.

The choice also comes down to whether you like a B&B atmosphere or more of a motor lodge atmosphere. Friends of mine spent a few weeks at Lighthouse Lodge and told me that the suites are considerably nicer than the rooms. They also were pleased with the cook-to-order breakfast.

We all have our preferences, and even if I had a car, I would choose to stay near town, just because there are so many options for dining, coffee, etc.

I hope this answers your question.