We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Dear Friends,

We're starting to finalize our S Island itinerary for mid July. Before I lock in hotels, I want to have one last go at fine tuning the itinerary. I'm still concerned about driving from Franz Josep to Queenstown in one day and later from Queenstown to CC in one day particularly when the sunsets so early. My inclination is to do it that way so I can spend 4 nights in Queenstown - and then two in Christchurch. I welcome your thoughts! In particular, would you stay somewhere further down on the West Coast than the places mentioned - making the drive to Queenstown shorter? Will I have enough sunlight to make it through any difficult passages to CC when leaving? We want to ski two days (renting everything). Does that change any recommendations? Any and all thoughts are appreciated. This forum has really helped shape what is below already. The itinerary is as follows:

Day Place

1 Fly to Nelson

2 Nelson

3 Punakaiki

4 Franz Josep

5 ?? Queenstown

6 Queenstown

7 Queenstown

8 ?? Queenstown

9 drive to ChristChurch

10 ChristChurch

11 Fly back to the states

Thanks

Skis & Songs

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Nelson
Nelson
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Hi Skis&Songs, according to www.aatravel.co.nz Punakaiki to Franz

Joseph will take 3hrs 10min aproximately I suggest you drive to Haast which will take you about another 2hrs down towards Queenstown.

Queenstown to Christchurch according to the above website is 6hrs 55mins. My wife & I drive to Queenstown every Fall and we allow 7hrs for this with at least 5 stops for food and or photo ops. This drive time will make this your biggest daywhich I am sure you will manage with ease. Sunrise will be close to 0800 Sunset 5pm (1700hrs). Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Hi S&S, good suggestions from Kiwi, I think you've got it sussed!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,484 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Although from previous comments on TA I don't think there's many places to stay in Haast.

(Forgot to add)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Hi S&S

For Haast accomodation hot: www.tourism.net.nz

Search: Haast.

Tet

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

Hi I have just looked at www.tourism.net.nz and they mention accomodation at Makarora. This is a beautifull place but too far time wise from Punakiki. I would suggest that you drive no further than Haast village itself. The drive through from Haast to Makarora and beyond is simply beautifull if you share a love of Mountains & Rainforest as I do. The road is tarsealed but a narrow and windy dual carriageway so I would suggest that the Driver will need a break. Fox glacier would be better if you cannot get accomodation in Haast.

6. Re: Franz Josep to Queenstown to Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands