We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay

I am travelling to NZ and wil be travelling to the Bay of Islands early October. I am not sure where to stay - does it matter? Is everything convenient or should you stay in a couple of places? ie Russell or Pahia or other palces to stay?

We are planning for 3 - 5 days in the Bay of Islands?

Jenny

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Paihia, Russell or Kerikeri - they're all good. Paihia is the main tourist town. I like Russell because it's quieter but there's less accom options there. Keri is a good option, but a bit away from the attractions of Paihia.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I would suggest Paihia as it is more central to everything like tours, cafes and ferries.

But to visit Kerikeri and Russell is a must.

Depending on your interests,time and travel arrangements I would also visit the Kiwi at Waipoua Forest http://www.footprintswaipoua.com

Check out www.wotif.com it you are looking for accommodation.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

You can just stay in 1 place as they are all easily accessible....

There are Pros & Cons to each....

RUSSELL - lovely old town with some great accommodation, but harder to get to as you have to take the car ferry from Opua, or drive the old Russell coastal road

PAIHIA - this is the most central of the 3 main towns and has heaps of accommodation, but it is a fairly modern tourist town without too much character. It is the main hub for all the boat trips etc and very close to Waitangi Treaty grounds

KERIKERI - this is my favourite place of the 3, its about 15-20 minutes drive from Paihia. It has great accommodation, restaurants, wineries and interesting history. On the possible downside, it is not coastal.

A possible compromise is the little cluster of accommodation at Haruru Falss which is about 5 minutes out of Paihia towards Kerikeri and a lovely location.

Bay of Islands, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Assuming you are driving, you could drive north on the scenic "old road" to Russel, spend a night there and have a look around Russell for the day, then take the car ferry from Opua and spend the rest of your time seeing Waitangi, Kerikeri, or taking a boat trip.

5. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands