We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Reinga flight tour

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Reinga flight tour

Does anyone have opinions on the half day trip with Salt Air to Cape Reinga? We don't want a 10+ hour day on a bus and this seems good...part flight and part transport once in the area of the cape. Salt Air does not seem to be endorsed by Qualmark, but would appreciate anyone's opinions or suggestions. We will be staying in Paihia. Thanks.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,953 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Hi Lislandlady,

In additon to the Cape Reinga half day - flight-tour, Salt Air runs charters and operates a Scheduled Service between Kerikeri - Whangarei and Auckland (North Shore). They have a base here at Whangarei airport in addition to Kerikeri.

Salt Air is used a lot for charters to the deep sea game fishing grounds, premium golf courses in Northland, and diving at the Poor Knights Islands.

Their flight-seeing combined with ground-tour to the Cape looks great - certainly reduces time - and not much air traffic to contend with in Far North.

Cheers.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Hi

The Salt Air scenic flight tour up to Cape Reinga is highly recommended.

Salt Air are a commercial airline as they also operate daily scheduled flights from Kerikeri & Whangarei to Auckland, so they are highly professional and experienced

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Thank you for your input. Which tours would be best 8:30-1300 or 1315 to 1800? This would be Feb 19. Should we be concerned about morning fog, temperatures, etc?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,953 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Hi again,

I'd book for the morning tour - more settled flying conditions & sea breeze may arise mid afternoon - highly doubt fog will occur in this geographical location.

Far North lies between 2 coasts & weather pattern very different from central/southern NZ.

This flight-tour will be magical - Bay of Islands, Cape Reinga & all bays and beaches in between are such a scenic part of NZ. Sure has the WOW factor!!.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Hi there

Whichever you choose (morning or afternoon), this will be a great day.

In February there is a good chance the weather will be fine - but no guarantees of course !!

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

I decided to book the morning trip. Everyone seeems to agree that morning weather is more settled. Then we can have lunch in Kerikeri after we return from the flight. I'm excited!

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Hi lislandlady,

How was the half day trip with Salt Air to Cape Reinga? Was the scenic flight experience worth it? The fly/drive tour seems to be exciting. Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated.

It appears there is one daily departure late April-September. How soon should I book and does anyone happen to know if it’s in morning or afternoon?

Thanks

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Well, unfortunately the trip was cancelled due to a big storm that came over from Australia. Cancelled the next day as well. We did have good weather on our first afternoon and took a boat tour, but then the weather was pretty miserable for the rest of our stay in Bay of Islands. During the stormy days, all scenic flights were cancelled and we didn't see any boats going out on tour either. We made the most of it, albeit in the rain.

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Thank you for your reply. It’s too bad the weather wasn’t more cooperative during your stay. I suppose we should be prepared for whatever mother nature decides to bring and make the most of the trip.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Reinga flight tour

Yes, plan for the trip, I think morning is best so if they have to delay a few hours due to weather, you can still go. You will not be charged for a trip that they cancelled..so just plan for it and hope for the best. Everyone I spoke to that had done the trip raved about it.

Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands