We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Hi all, we are planning a trip to NZ in January 08

At this stage we are planning 4 nights in Queenstown, then 2 nights in Te Anau, then 7 nights in Auckland (use that as a base to explore the surrounding area, free accomodation with rellies), then 2 nights in Omaha followed by 2 nights in the Bay of Islands - most likely Paihia.

We have some ideas for accomodation in most places but still open to suggestions for Queenstown, Te Anau and Paihia if anyone has any! We have two young children aged 6 and 3, and will be hiring a car. Because of the kidlets we'd really prefer a 2 bedroom apartment/bach as a minimum, but of course there's the budget to consider... so trying to keep it under $180 per night.

Questions:

Recommended activities/tours/cruises in the BOI with 2 children?

Is Paihia the best place to stay in BOI, or should we try Russell?

Thanks!

Sea Shuttle Bay of Islands
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Salt Air Tours
Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Explore
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips, Boat Tours
Bay Of Islands Kayak Cruises
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Hi there

For the Bay of Islands, with kids you are probably better off staying in Paihia, as there is more to see and do on that side.

For accommodation, there are lots of motels that have 2 bedroom units, but you'd be struggling to get a nice unit for $180 at that time of year - its peak season, and Bay of Islands is one of the most expensive areas at that time of year.

I will send another post with some ideas for accommodation, and also for activities - just got to go and make breakfast for my B&B guests now.....

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Heres a couple of self contained/cottage accommodation suggestions in Paihia - as I said in my last post, you will be struggling to find anything decent for $180 a night, so might need to up your budget slightly:

http://www.allure-lodge.com/

http://www.boibeachhouse.co.nz/

www.aatravel.co.nz/main/listing.php…

There are also as I said, lots of motels that have 2 bedroom units.

As far as activities go, there are lots of boat trips to choose from, kayaking from the mai beach in Paihia, an adventure/circus park just around the corner o the road to Haruru Falls, a maori waka (canoe) experience, Waitangi treaty grounds - just to name a few.

whangarei heads
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Paihia is a better place to stay in than Russell, especially with young children.

You may also wish to look at Crisdon Castle:

http://www.crisdoncastle.co.nz/.

They have a 2 bedroom self-contained unit - The Queens Quarters.

I haven't stayed there before, however their B&B has good reviews on TA.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

Thanks heaps everyone for the replies, will go check out the sites!

Hokianga North...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

With childen, why not try Lilypond Farm, five minutes out of Paihia.

6. Re: BOI in Jan08 with 2 young kids, what to do, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 03, 2009