We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

We are going to coral bay next Easter. We are flying up then getting a hire car and driving from exmouth to coral bay. I know that the groceries at coral bay are very limited, so we are thinking we will buy groceries on exmouth and drive to coral bay.

Has anyone else done this? Will they take a preorder at the supermarket?

Did you buy Eskies too? Many of the goods would need to be kept cold to transport in the long drive in warm weather.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

When we holidayed in Coral Bay, we always drove up from the south and did our shopping in Carnarvon. We brought our own Esky/ies for the cold/frozen food and so you may have to buy a cheap polystyrene cooler to do likewise. If you make contact with the any of the supermarkets below, you will be able to find out whether or not you can make an order prior to arriving in Exmouth;

http://www.aussieweb.com.au/directory/grocery+stores+supermarket/wa/exmouth/6707/

ps once you have packed the frozen and cold groceries, avoid opening the cooler again (if possible) until you are ready to decant into a fridge when you get to Coral Bay...that way, you will find the cold or frozen groceries will stay that way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

Hi,

we did the same thing as you - Flew to Exmouth .. & drove to Coral Bay.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g580525-s2/Coral-Bay:…

Heaps of info on this link - which is quicker to C/Paste it than for me to type it.

exmouthwa.com.au/pages/…

There is also an IGA Supermarket in Ross Street.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

<Has anyone else done this??>

That's exactly what we did. We bought groceries at the IGA in Exmouth before driving to Coral Bay. And I'm glad we did - the shop in Coral Bay is pretty pitiful (and expensive).

We had an esky already as we drove up from Perth, but I'm sure you can find one somewhere in Exmouth.

I've been known to check on an empty esky when I fly too. If you've got enough luggage allowance, you might consider it..

It's only a 152 km drive from Exmouth to Coral Bay.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

Checking in an empty esky is a gr8 idea, thx :)

5. Re: Groceries in exmouth before going to coral bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, November 02, 2016