We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Does anybody know how long it would take to drive to Walhalla?

12 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

About 3 hours if you go through Moe.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

I'd say more like 2.5kms, but, of course, it depends on where exactly you are leaving from and what time of day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Thanks! Is ti quicker to go through Moe?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Thanks! I plan to leave Melbourne mid morning on Saturday morning.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

If you are driving up there in winter, keep an eye on road conditions and take care as it can, and does snow and the road can get dangerous.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Check out a map before you leave (or now!!), or Googlemaps. It will show you the route...and then you'll see that via Moe is the only sensible option, and also give you time estimations.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,655 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

The last 13 kilometres is on par with some of Tassie roads for having a lot of bends. : ( Been twice and my wife has to take a motion sickness pill.

As BrawBlether states, Moe's the way to go, and as Eva states, conditions can be trying as the last time we went was in winter, it was wet and cold but we had no problems.

Lats time we went out by Moe and returned by C481 to Traralgon. The C481 has lovely tall timber reserves but IMO a slightly harder drive, and seemed longer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

Thanks so much everyone!! I stumbled across Walhalla over 25 years ago & I want to take my daughter this weekend as I remembered how amazing it was :)

Victoria
Level Contributor
13 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

I can absolutely tell you having just done the trip We chose NON highway route from Laverton to Walhalla when going there, and it took 4.5 hrs thru ALL the little towns we wanted to see (TomTom chose them, not us, but they'd been on our itinerary) up via Moe, and then back it took - wait for it - 2.5 hrs in torrential rain on a Saturday. Stop at Yarram (if you like animals then go to the All Creatures Great and Small shop) and visit the little shops (another gorgeous one is right on the corner just up from the above shop, two rooms of beautiful soaps and crafts) and the Spud Shed on the highway en route home (OMG get the yo-yos by Julie). Enjoy, please see my review on the railway. There is a helluva lot to see in Walhalla and a heap of walking tracks. We stayed at Walhalla log cabin with our dogs, an absolute recommendation. Cheers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne

The OP went in May. Perhaps a trip report of your journey might be more helpful to future travelers.?

Reply to: Travel time to Walhalla from Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Walhalla